PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 Rechambered For WSM Question ..

Opus Dei
05-26-2012, 08:24 PM
I believe this can be done, but I'd like to know for certain. This is what I know from searching.

There are AICS-compatible magazines for WSM (and I guess RCM and RSAUM) made by Alpha

I've got a McRee chassis, so I'm GTG with the above magazine

I've seen references to early WSM rifles having small-shank barrels

What I'd like to know is will the standard model 10 bolt accept a WSM head, if there's any difference in recoil lug thickness and anything else I might've missed. Thanks in advance.

geargrinder
05-26-2012, 11:31 PM
You'll need a push feed short action magnum bolt head. It's the same as the current issue that is coming on the centerfeed WSM's.

You'll also need a short action magnum firing pin assembly. They are a different length than the standard calibers.

outlawsix
05-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Why a push feed and not a control round feed? Would it really matter?

nsaqam
05-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Because his present action doesn't have the static ejector which the CRF bolthead needs.

outlawsix
05-27-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/TechUpdates.html

according to the first paragraph the WSM are CRF. On my Striker 300 wsm it is a CFR

geargrinder
05-27-2012, 03:09 PM
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/TechUpdates.html

according to the first paragraph the WSM are CRF. On my Striker 300 wsm it is a CFR

It also talks about Ultramags. Those are long gone, so is CRF. When Savage went to center feed they ditched the CRF and now everything is push feed. Even the Lapua.

nsaqam
05-27-2012, 03:16 PM
The CRPF bolts feed and functioned fine.
I'd wager that Savage changed back to the regular PF just to have commonality between actions and to save the extra machining required for the static ejector.

outlawsix
05-27-2012, 03:30 PM
And those reasons make perfect sense.

BobT
05-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Those are long gone, so is CRF. When Savage went to center feed they ditched the CRF and now everything is push feed. Even the Lapua.

My M11 .300 WSM is center feed with a CRF bolt. Nary an issue with feeding.

Bob

Opus Dei
05-29-2012, 07:33 PM
I think I've got it, but want to confirm.

So, this bolt assembly will feed AND eject fine in a model 10? http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/570852/savage-arms-bolt-short-action-300-winchester-short-magnum-wsm-remington-short-action-ultra-magnum-controlled-round-feed-without-ejector-blue

And is compatible with this magazine? http://www.alphaindmfg.com./store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

Otherwise, the only components needed are the miscellaneous bolt head parts and small-shank barrel. Thanks, again.

nsaqam
05-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Nope.

The bolt assy. you linked is a CRF bolt and your 10 action doesn't have the static ejector required for this bolt to eject rounds.

I don't know anything about the bottom metal.

outlawsix
05-29-2012, 08:21 PM
I have been thinking hard about this.....I have a Striker in 300 WSM, the bottom rim on the bolt head is removed. And im pretty sure it has the plunger to kick the rounds out built into the bolt face. So with those out there with WSM rounds in center feed style. Do the new push feed WSM bol heads have the lower part of the bolt head rim removed or is there a rim all the way around the bolt head?

Opus Dei
05-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Nope.

The bolt assy. you linked is a CRF bolt and your 10 action doesn't have the static ejector required for this bolt to eject rounds.

I was working off the comment by BobT above my post. Savages have a number of permutations and nomenclature is used somewhat interchangeably; no wonder there's so much confusion.

How can I best source the bolt assembly? Savage's Part Finder site requires you enter a SN; my rifle is .243, so it won't get me the information. Anyone have a link for the appropriate complete bolt, or should I just contact one of the member businesses?

BobT
05-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Nope.

I was working off the comment by BobT above my post. Savages have a number of permutations and nomenclature is used somewhat interchangeably; no wonder there's so much confusion.

How can I best source the bolt assembly? Savage's Part Finder site requires you enter a SN; my rifle is .243, so it won't get me the information. Anyone have a link for the appropriate complete bolt, or should I just contact one of the member businesses?

You need a push feed WSM bolt head with the associated small parts, extractor, ejector, etc.

nsaqam
05-30-2012, 07:36 AM
At your local gunshop get a SN from a current production WSM Savage and plug that number into the Savage Parts Finder.

tyler.woodard04
05-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I have both bolt heads and will post pictures tonight. along with the fixed ejector

outlawsix
06-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Have you had a chance to take pics?

Opus Dei
06-01-2012, 07:38 PM
At your local gunshop get a SN from a current production WSM Savage and plug that number into the Savage Parts Finder.
Not feasible. I live in a rural area; it was a 100-mile round-trip just to find a Savage, and it was the only one not an Axis. I've never seen any but in .243/.308/.270.

But Gun Shack, whom I've dealt with before, was able to order me a complete model 10 WSM bolt assembly today. They actually had the forethought to order the miscellaneous omitted parts (extractor/ejector/etc.). Total was $151.00; if you added the miscellaneous part to one of the Midway bolts (if they would even work for your application), the cost is probably a wash. But Midway couldn't source one for me.

Buying just a bolthead, miscellaneous parts and correct firing pin is less costly, but I wanted a dedicated assembly and the premium was worth it. And Congratulations to Lance and Noemi on their new baby!

tyler.woodard04
06-21-2012, 06:20 PM
sorry forgot all about this. ill take them now and post them up

tyler.woodard04
06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
upper is a push round the bottom is a "controlled" round. I dont buy the controlled round design of this head. the rounds dont pop right in like on a true controlled feed bolt but whatever. both seem to work fine for me
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa32/01edgered/2012-06-21_18-22-16_76.jpg