PDA

View Full Version : RE criterion 6.5 creedmoor copper collector

savy22br
05-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Had lots of blue patches out of my 6.5 cm for the 1st 30 rounds had me a little worried. Took it back out yesterday put 50 down the tube the barrel had a little carbon but not even a hint of copper in it not 1 blue patch!!! Best part its shooting in the .2s off a bipod with very little load development!!! I couldnt be happier!!! A big thanks to Jim @ northland great products great service!

arrestman
06-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Just started shooting my criterion .308 and it shows signs of heavy copper also. Did you break in your barrel or fust started shooting groups? If break in procedure was used what method?

savy22br
06-16-2012, 11:03 AM
cleaned every 5 shots for 1st 25. Then not again for prob 30 shots. i prob clean my rifles to much. Barrel makers say 100 rounds to break in but thats really just puts you 100 rounds closer to needing a new barrel in my opinion. it wont be know time and im sure copper will clear right up. mine shoots and cleans extremly easy now! I use butches and shooters choice iv found best on copper but thats just mw. good luck. gotta go im heading to the range!

Bradley Walker
06-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Just started shooting my criterion .308 and it shows signs of heavy copper also. Did you break in your barrel or fust started shooting groups? If break in procedure was used what method?

You guys realize the copper is coming from the chamber cut? The break-in is for the throat not the barrel.

savy22br
06-21-2012, 03:49 PM
I think the copper actually comes from the bullet jacket. And if your barrel is ruff such as many stock savage barrels copper builds the whole lenth of the barrel not just the throat. Point is i have a cbi it shoots awesome and collects zero copper so if ur in the market great barrel at a great price!

clambdin
06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
I have had several custom barrels and they all have coppered at first but eventually smooth out I am currently breaking in a Brux and it coppers also, the first few shots it was really bad but after about 12 rounds it began to smooth out..I expect about 50 rounds or so an it will not copper much at all !