PDA

View Full Version : Ready to buy a scope, what do I buy?

Pages : 1 [2]

BobT
05-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Is minox that much better than the Viper?
CameraLand has an open box special for a Minox 5a 4-20x50 for 549.
Is that a better deal than the 279 Viper?
DAvid

Personally, I think it is. Minox did have a $50.00 rebate deal too but I don't know if it is still going on. IMHO there isn't a nickles worth of difference between the glass in my Mk4 Leupold and my Minox ZA5 4-20x50.

Bob

WestPat
05-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Okay.
So I went with the camera land viper special.
Here is deal also. I found a Leupold vari x 3 4-14x50AO at the LGS for
300. I am thinking about getting it also. Basically getting two good quality scopes for the price of the Minox.
I made this decision to try to let myself have two quality scopes on my two savages instead of just one, while spending the same amount for the Minox.
Before I lay down the cash I just want to make sure that is a good price for the leupold?
Thanks for all the responses and time you guys took!!!!!
David

davemuzz
05-26-2012, 12:05 PM
The Vari-X 3 are the "older" model(s) of the Leupold scopes. From what I've read they go something like this:

Here is the sequence:

1. Oldest Vari-X III: friction adjustments, single coated lenses

2. Middle Vari-X III: click adjustments, single coated lenses

3. Late Vari-X III: click adjustments, Multicoat-4 lens coatings

4. VX-III: click adjustments with finger turn knobs, Index Matched lens coatings

5. VX-3: current model with finger turn click adjustments, dual bias springs, blackened lens edges, latest lens coatings with very hard scratch resistant outer lens coatings

Since your looking at a Vari-X, then #5 is not "on your list." If it's #3 or #4, then it's probably worth the $$$$. If its not, then I'd pass on it. But just ask them what it is. If they can't answer.....then pass.

My two cents.

Dave

WestPat
05-27-2012, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I passed on the leupold. It was a much older model and only in 1".
Looking forward to the viper and will report how that goes.
Thanks again.
David

Corprin
05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Been reading a bunch of very favorable reviews of the SWFA SS scopes. I've decided to get one in 16 power for my next target rifle build later this summer....

I have a SS 20x riding in ARMS #22 lows, NF 20moa 2pc bases on my 40x HB .22lr that is used regularly for plinking cans and squirrels at 200-250yrds. The glass is clear enough, and has enough adjustment to push ranges on inanimate objects to 300yrds. I have noticed the sight box is very touchy between bench and prone shooting, and unless you have full daylight, it's a bit dark around the edges. If the 16x is closer to the 10x for brightness and clarity, you could do much worse for the money!

My $399.99 Midway exclusive Viper Vortex HS 5-15x44 Mil/Mil will arrive here tomorrow, hope it is better suited or my 12LRP, as I need glass and the go-to SS is now on a rim fire!

fgw_in_fla
05-29-2012, 05:41 AM
WestPat - I had another incident with my Vortex Crossfire. The screw that holds the magnification adjustment thumbwheel loosened up & fell out. Luckily when it fell out, it was on the work table so I was able to locate it. Since it was loose the threads got a little beat up from moving the adjustment.
When I emailed Vortex with my complaint, the young lady (Maureen) sent me 2 more screws, at my request. I had them in 4 days.
You can't beat Vortex warranty & customer service. They have it hands down ;)

As far as the scope is concerned, it's been working fine since its last visit back to the factory. No problems & it still sits proudly upon my '06 whilst I spend many hours shooting it. As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I'll stick a few up. I already did the PicBucket accout thing.
Good luck with your new glass. Don't forget - after you use your new glass, stop by & put up an evaluation. I think the Viper will be my next scope. I need to break from this cheapo scope pattern & open up the purse strings....
Frank in Fla

benfranklin
05-29-2012, 11:40 AM
if I were you I would go to the bank and ask for a 3000 dollar loan..
But the very best scope you can get and never look back..Just kidding...

fgw_in_fla
05-29-2012, 12:30 PM
I like BenFranklin's idea..... Go & pick up a nice $2000 - $3000 scope and then you can tell us all about how clear the glass is, how positive the adjustments are, good audible clicks, shoot the box & returns to point of origin every time, etc, etc.
Hey, I know.... Take out about $35,000 & buy each of us a new Swarovski.I mean after all, we did help you spend your money efficiently... :o :o :o :o :o

Lots 'o luck with the new glass ;) If you bought from Doug at CameraLand, you did well ;) AND - don't forget a good set of rings!.

Frank in Fla

WestPat
05-29-2012, 01:41 PM
I did just get my tax money back.
Wonder if my wife would really believe that it was just a banking error, and yes they do sell Schmidt and Bender scopes at Walmart
honey!
I figure that I have a ways to go until my shooting can justify a purchase like that.
I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes since they are expecting 3-4 more shipments of the Viper specials.
Thanks to all!
David

larrys1911
05-29-2012, 10:13 PM
I love my Vortex Viper. For the money I dont think you can get anywhere NEAR it quality wise in a 6-20.

youll be happy with it.

Larry