PDA

View Full Version : When changing from .223 to .260 do I need new ejector, firing pin, etc?

DreamMaker
12-04-2009, 11:45 PM
I know the bolt face needs to change, but I'm not sure if all the bits and pieces from the original (.223) bolt will function with the new larger bolt face. I just hate not having all the right parts onhand when I do a project.

Thanks in advance.

DreamMaker
12-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Just might have answered my question. I went to Midway's site and did a search on Savage extractor. The results came back with the actual extractor, detent ball and spring. They are listed as for "all calibers." I'll probably order these parts for spares since the only a few bucks each.

usngunner
12-05-2009, 10:01 PM
It's much quicker and simpler to change an entire bolt head rather than screw around with the itty bitty parts. I'd get all of it, put it together and just swap it. If you sell the barrel later, it's a bonus to include the complete bolt head.

Something to think about I guess.

DreamMaker
12-06-2009, 02:46 AM
If I understand you correctly, your recommendation is to buy a new extractor, spring and detent ball along with the new bolt head. I like your idea of keeping the old bolt head with the original barrel.

82boy
12-06-2009, 02:00 PM
It's much quicker and simpler to change an entire bolt head rather than screw around with the itty bitty parts. I'd get all of it, put it together and just swap it. If you sell the barrel later, it's a bonus to include the complete bolt head.

Something to think about I guess.

+1

usngunner
12-08-2009, 02:21 AM
If I understand you correctly, your recommendation is to buy a new extractor, spring and detent ball along with the new bolt head. I like your idea of keeping the old bolt head with the original barrel.

that would be correct.

northlander
12-08-2009, 10:54 AM
DreamMaker,
You will have to swap out the front bolt baffle if your 223 has the extended front bolt baffle. Unless you do that you will not be able to pull the bolt back far enough to pick up the next shell from the magazine. You will also need to replace the magazine box and follower to have a magazine long enough to fit the 260 cases.

Jim Briggs
NSS

DreamMaker
12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the heads up. I have a parts diagram for the Savage bolt and there's a reference for a rear baffle, but there isn't any mention of a front baffle. BTW - my bolt matches the diagram. Is this because my rifle (12FLV) is a new model - purchased 12/2004? Figured I would have to change the mag box and follower.

John

Three44s
12-14-2009, 02:40 AM
There seems to be two schools of thought on head spacing.

I have seen where it was recommended that the bolt head be "naked" ..... ie. sans ejector and extractor to get a better feel on the go gauge etc. ..... and I have seen where at least the extractor was installed while setting the head space .......

I have done exactly one barrel and head swap ...... so I am FAR FROM qualified to advise anyone on this ..... but I did mine stripped.

So if you have all those parts for both bolt heads ....... but head space with a stripped head ..... it does not make as much difference to have two or more complete heads.

Just my .02 worth

What I do know is this: The Savage system is sure a "liberating one" ...... I am still very jazzed up with my recent jaunt with "shade tree" gun work .....

AND more Savages are surely to pop up around my neck of the woods!!!

Three 44s