PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 10 PC question

amstel78
05-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Hello all. New forum member here with a Savage 10 PC. Just picked it up yesterday and have to say that I'm happy with its performance. I do have a bit of an odd-ball question though. I noticed yesterday when I got home from the range that the receiver bolt stop has been peened in a few spots. The metal has been moved and some of the parkerization chipped off. I then noticed that the bolt handle's bottom surface that ends up contacting the receiver when the bolt is closed had some elevated casting marks. So, it appears that whenever the bolt is closed and the handle pushed down with some force, the casting marks on the handle ended up impacting, thus peening the receiver bolt handle stop.

I've since polished that area on the bolt handle and re-blued and the peening has lessened but what I'm curious about is the receiver hardness. This is a steel receiver and I would have thought that it would have been harder than the bolt handle? Could I have gotten a receiver with poor heat treatment or is this sort of peening typical?

Edit to add photos. Hope this will help convey what I'm asking:
http://jamespaulsarte.com/temp/olyarms/savage01.JPG
http://jamespaulsarte.com/temp/olyarms/savage02.JPG
http://jamespaulsarte.com/temp/olyarms/savage03.JPG

teddy12b
05-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Aside from polishing off the rough edges, I'm not sure I'd do anything different than what you've done. You took the edge off and recoated it so it won't rust on you and that was smart. I don't think you've got anything to worry about with that rifle except for adjusting for wind at 1,000 yards or farther. How many rounds have you got through it yet?

amstel78
05-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I probably have about 100-150 rounds through it. She shoots very well. I took it out of the stock tonight though so I'll have to go back to the range next weekend and see if accuracy remains the same, or if I'll have to play with the torque on the action/stock bolts.

With regards to my original question, while the peening I believe has subsided, I'm still curious as to how soft the receiver steel is. Has anyone else seen similar? I've only seen aluminum receivers peen like that; never steel unless it was soft or mild.

amstel78
05-22-2012, 06:46 AM
I take it from the lack of responses that no one else is concerned about the peening and that I shouldn't worry about it?

Grit #1
05-22-2012, 08:05 AM
I would call Savage and ask them. They are very responsive over the phone and will answer all your questions.
Best regards,
Grit

amstel78
05-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks. I called Savage and was able to email the pictures to their master gunsmith. He responded by saying that it was fine and not to worry. So, I guess I'll leave it at that. To be honest though and just to reiterate my original concern, I've never seen supposedly hardened steel deform so quickly. At first look, I thought it was aluminum. I had to run a magnet on the receiver just to be sure. ::)