PDA

View Full Version : best bang for the buck target/varmint scope

Pages : 1 [2]

dcloco
12-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Not as much power as some like but the 12X Leupold is a lot of scope for the $$. If your patient they can be bought used for $250-350. The fine Duplex with target knobs is the prefered model.

Ditto here as well. Once in a great while an FX16x40 (fixed 16 power) with turrets will show up as well.

Also, not to be overlooked, the 6-18x40 VXII Leupolds with turrets are great scopes for the money.

Another often overlooked scoped - the 4-12x42 Pentax with the penta plex 2 reticle (multiple lines)....VERY good scope in the under 200 range.

LG
12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Just got the Mueller from Windwalker. Like the scope a lot! http://www.windwalkeroutdoors.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=928

wbm,

May I ask you a question about the Mueller 8-32x44? How many MOA per turret turn? The reason for my asking is that I handled a different Mueller scope a little while ago, I think it was a 4-14x50 model, and it had 7.5 MOA per turn. I found that somewhat awkward. To me one full turn should correspond to a whole MOA number like 7 or 8 or 10, not a fraction. Anyway, I was wondering if the Mueller 8-32x44 is the same way.

Thanks a lot

Hammer
12-31-2009, 02:16 PM

Twenty-five years ago I would have stayed away from anything other than a major brand name like a Leupold.

Had a lot of bad experiences with cheap and even medium price scopes back then.

Nowadays there are lots of good, reliable scopes from lots of different folks.

If I was going to Africa, would still stick with Leupold or Nightforce.

But if this was going to be one of several scopes on a prairie dog hunt in Montana, the risk is much lower and the benefits of cheaper price are a better value.

Have had good luck with

Bushnell 4200 & 6500
Leupold
Mueller
Nightforce
Redfield
Sightron
Swift
Weaver
etc

Have recommended Sightron II and III to lots of friends and they're still friends.

JCalhoun
12-31-2009, 06:27 PM
I read something about some of the lesser and even some better lines of scope that will not hold point of impact with medium and magnum cartridges. Apparently it's not noticible on hunting rifles but more so on precision rifles like BR rigs. The same article claimed that the Sightrons Big Sky series have the least trouble with POI shift.

On the other hand, Hammer told me that he really prefers ivory shotgun beads on his prarie dog rifles and even a center bead if he is shooting benchrest. ;)

efm77
12-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Ditto to what Hammer said. While I have not tried as many brands as he has, I have had good luck with some of the ones he mentioned.
Swift
Bushnell, not just the elites either, even down to the Banners, Trophies, and Legends
Leupold
Nikon as well.

I have a Bushnell Banner 6-24x40 with mil-dot reticle on a M70 in 300 win mag that shoots 3 shots in 1/2" with great regularity. It's not quite as bright as more expensive scopes but it shoots so good I hate to mess with it. I have really liked the new Swifts with the sur-lok mechanism lately especially for magnums. Just make your reticle adjustments, tighten the lock knob and it keeps the reticle from shifting under recoil, bumps, etc. So far for me it has worked as advertised, I have one on a 338 win mag and it has performed very well.

82boy
01-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I have played with a lot of lower priced scopes, I have found some that just are lesser quality and some are lesser price. The Mueller line has a great reputation for making a great usable lower cost scope. There are other makers making scopes out of China that are great deals for the money. Vortex is a new company and They have great optics, a great selection and one of the best warranties around. Many people like the Super sniper scopes, I have never used one, but I always see good review of them. Konus is another maker of scope I have not tried, but they have excellent reviews. I was very impressed with Famous maker brand scopes, but I don't believe they are around anymore. There is so many company's selling made in China scopes, and I am willing to bet they all come out from the same factory, the only difference is the specks the brand label puts on them. I would not be surprised if the big named company's like Leupold don't start a lower line of scope, made like the others. Remington, Savage and Weatherbe are all importing guns from overseas and putting there name on them.

Hammer
01-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Hammer told me that he really prefers ivory shotgun beads on his prarie dog rifles and even a center bead if he is shooting benchrest

When I use two beads like for one to be ivory and the other gold.

docsleepy
01-28-2010, 01:18 AM
You should also take a look at the Swift Premiers. Very good quality for the price. Bright, clear optics, and seem to be very durable too. Assembled in Korea but use American made glass and fully multicoated optics. I have a few and am very pleased with them.

I never quite figured out what the desired price range is. Most of the other replies seemed to be more exensive equipment than I can afford, so I chime in for the "value group":

I have the Swift Reliant Premier 8-32X. Point of impact so far appears to hold to the degree to which I'm able to prove it with 1/2" groups. So much depends on exact bag positioning that I cannot swear any better than that. It was about $230. I can see the exact bullet hole and tell exactly how my grouping is going at 100 yards with this. The adjustments are 1/4" at 100 yards. I think it is 8 MOA around one turn of the turrets. My settings stay very constant from range visit to range visit, again to within the error I'm able to prove. When the barrel heats up, there is mirage, but that is a function of heat from the barrel, not the scope. Until then, very clear.

It is a front adjustable objective to eleminate parallax. I don't have experience with anything more expensive.

On the extreme cheapie end, if you want that, I have used the $84 6-24X that my local walmart carries, allthough not as extensively as the Swift. I shot a 3/8" 5 shot group with it recently at 100yards with a savage varmint rifle and pre-accutrigger. That suggests the reticle is at least somewhat stable (with .223). It also is a front-adjustable objective. You can't see the individual bullet holes in 22 caliber as well with 24X.

Hammer
01-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Have a Swift varmint scope and it works fine.

efm77
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah Swifts are a well kept secret. They don't advertise much so you don't hear much about them but most people who have them are very pleased with them. I'm curious to try one of the new Redfields too. American made by Leupold at a value price point, might be a good deal.

Dinosdeuce
01-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Currently using a Bushnell elite 4200 6x24 tactical on .308 bolt gun. A SS 10x42 on a .223 semi and a SS 16x42 on bolt .223 I shoot all to 600yds at steel targets from a prairie dog silhouette 4x10", 6", 8", 10" circles to a half IPSC target.

I prefer the SS 16x42 due to magnification. In my opinion the best magnification range for hitting steel or little critters. Really good scope for the money. Repeatable, I dial elevation only. Use hold offs for windage. The glass and eye relief are adequate. More than enough internal adjustment for my shooting.

The glass in the Bushnell is good as well, but I can't get out to 800yds with my current setup. It is lacking in the internal adjustment area. So I wouldn't recommend it.

mattri
01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the great replies.

The rifle was going to be a .223 but found a great deal on a .243 so that's what its going on now.

Currently using a Nikon 4.5-14 Buckmaster with the BDC that was supposed to go on my hunting rifle, this is a good scope but deffinetely better on a hunting rig.

Would like to keep the budget around $300 if that is feasible.

Like the Nikon, thinking about the 6-18 Buckmaster.

Mueller, Bushnell, Weaver, what else?

Blue Avenger
01-31-2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexcrossfire8-32x50ao

mattri
01-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the link, don't know much about the Vortex, I'll have to check them out. These were the ones I was considering.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=123107

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=874924

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=460354

dcloco
01-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the link, don't know much about the Vortex, I'll have to check them out. These were the ones I was considering.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=123107

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=874924

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=460354

Go with the Bushnell. Only one with FULLY MULTI COATED lenses.

roptics
02-01-2010, 06:53 AM
For the lower price I really like my Bushnell Elite 10x40. I little higher in price I LOVE my Burris Black Diamond scopes. I have two and may get a third. I use the 8-32 30mm tube versions. If you are patient I get them new on Ebay for $450. The key is patient. There is a guy who sells them no reserves and they go for $550 or more 99% of the time but sometimes one will slip through. That is how I get mine. Good luck.

efm77
02-01-2010, 07:14 AM
The Swift Premier is also fully multicoated and in your price range. Like I said before, they are not as well known as the other major brands because they don't advertise as much but they've been around a long time and I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you try one.

mattri
02-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks again to all who posted, going to start a new thread to narrow down the choices.

Dennis
02-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks again to all who posted, going to start a new thread to narrow down the choices.

LOL, If I were you, I think I would be more confused now!

Just kidding, that's what were here for, but there's 1000 different scopes out there with the same amount of views!