PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bear Attack (very Real)

358Hammer
12-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Brown Bear Attack (very Real)

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/SoldotnaBrownBear.jpg

Over the years I have watched any number of threads on the various forums regarding peoples opinions or people seeking opinions of what is enough gun for Brown Bear Protection. SOme even think the guns I hunt with are a little over powered. When I post on these threads I have a hard and fast rule since I have lived this gentlemans story myself. Big heavy bullets- you are practiced so you can hit a paper plate at 7 yards without thinking. Two second rule. One has two seconds or less to hit your mark from the time there is danger until you end the danger.

This guy lives just outside of Soldotna.

Friends,
Have I got a story for you guys!King season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 am this morning (Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walkingmy dogs (trying to get in shape for hunting season, ironically!). For therecord, this is in a residential area?not back in the woods, nobow hunting, no stealth occurring...I heard a twig snap, and looked back...full on charge-a huge brownie,ears back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; nowoof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what youthink or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in
About one-second! Totally surreal-I just started shooting in the generaldirection, and praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?)rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I wasshooting from-I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on thelast shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired myfirst shot!It was a prehistoric old boar?no teeth, no fat?weighing between 900-1000 lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear-itspaw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

Never-ever-thought "it" would happen to me! It's always some other smuck, Right? Well, no bull- I am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a Knot. Feels like I did 10000 crunches without stopping! Almost puked foran hour after, had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers
Conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out-cant even put thatfeeling into words, by far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull (andsome "hot" 350 grain solids) just for the heck of it, and managed todraw and snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! Total
Luck shot!All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave thewife and kids at home on this walk! Got a charter tomorrow, so gonna TRYto get some sleep now!
Talk to ya soon, -Greg

Forwarded

Neal

pdog06
12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
WOW!!! Great reaction by him. Alot of people(including me) probably wouldnt have bee quick enough. Glad he's OK.

Apache
12-04-2009, 07:12 PM
WOW!

He woulda had a hard time catchin me........he woulda been slippin in all the "stuff" I left there as I ran away!

In all seriousness.........that is scary to see, I'm glad those things don't live here!

He makes that pistol look VERY small........ :-[

Fjold
12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
The last time I went to Alaska there were four of us iin the group and where everyone else brought 44 mags or a 12 gauge, I brought a 22 rimfire. One of the guys ased me why and i told him that if a bear attacks I'd just shoot the closest guy in the knee so there would be someone slower than me for the bear to catch when we all took off running.

Balljoint
12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Were was this AGAIN!!!!!! glad i live in the city BUT I've see some BLACK BEARS almost this big at my fathers trailer during the summer and several years ago got a call from Gary Alt(former bear guy for Pa game comm.) that a bear was dening under our trailer and were we going deer hunting that year as he would have to move her if we were going.
Some one had borrowed his extension ladder and not shut the access door for the ladder and the bear had gone in and dend up, knew this as she had one of his radio collar's on and knew my father owned this trailer and called him.

308law
12-05-2009, 06:26 AM
I heard this guy on Tom Grisham's Gun Talk radio show. The scariest part(besides the fact that the bear was charging without warning) was the the Super Redhawk revolver that he was shooting jammed on the last shot he fired, the one that dropped the bear. The ammo he was using was not crimped hard enough for the considerably amount of recoil that they were generating in that relatively small and light weight gun. One of the remaining loaded rounds set back hard enough to jam the rotation of the cylinder.

ScopeEye
12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Wow that's a crazy story! Glad our bears don't get that big around here.

tucker301
12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
We've got groundhogs bigger than that. ;D

Seriously, has anyone verified this?
I hate to say it, but it looks like one of those highly circulated tall tales.

farmboy
12-31-2009, 09:39 PM
I just noticed this thread. Holy Smokes!

I have to agree with you 100% Neal. The more I study ballistics and what works in the real world, heavy bullets at moderate velocities are where it's at. Reaction time and distance, right again.

Farmboy

bushrat
05-10-2010, 10:09 PM
This made the newspaper and TV here in Alaska, It is real and not the only case like it. Some years there are as many as five big bear attacks in Anchorage alone.

Tracer
03-04-2011, 03:48 AM
One thing about that story that is no doubt very factual, GOD was with this young man that day. Most people never get to see a live bear up close and personal, those who go to the zoo and gander the teddy bears have no idea what that animal is capable of and how fast it can really move, even though it might weigh in at half a ton.

I was once upon a time in the state of Alaska with other friends of mine. We had been flown into an area to fish and camp, just to relax from our day jobs. A local took me and my buddy under his wing. I was going to try and catch fish using a fly rod. We had set up camp near a large stream and I was itching to try my luck next morning. Well I got up early before the rest and headed for the water, in search of a big fish......any fish really. I was around a bend in the stream some 200 yards or so from the camp. I was really into the casting of the fly rod and had not seen this bear down stream. I got a little nervous as the bear was walking my way slowly. I callaped my hands loudly and yelled Go Bear Go, it kept coming. I decided I was going to hightail it for camp, which I did do in a whale of a hurry. I was yelling at the top of my lungs while I made tracks through the low water.

Now what I didn't see at the time, was the confrontation of the other bear, evidently a big bore, that came out of the grass and slapped this other bear, who took off and gave me more time to get back to the other fella's. I could see them waving their hands and they had their rifles too. I had no idea how close that bear was I sudddely started to hear the guns going Boom Boom . The bear was shot 6 times and it never turned away, the shot that killed the bear was from Johns .338 Win mag a 250 grain bullet into the head of the bear. It fell down less than 15 feet from the eggs and bacon on the fire. The bears paw was almost as wide as my chest.

sha-ul
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I heard this guy on Tom Grisham's Gun Talk radio show. The scariest part(besides the fact that the bear was charging without warning) was the the Super Redhawk revolver that he was shooting jammed on the last shot he fired, the one that dropped the bear. The ammo he was using was not crimped hard enough for the considerably amount of recoil that they were generating in that relatively small and light weight gun. One of the remaining loaded rounds set back hard enough to jam the rotation of the cylinder.

Like you I heard it on Gresham's show, very sobering.