PDA

View Full Version : Bi-pods

bigkahuna1019
05-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Now that I have my new rifle and optics decided upon, does anyone know of any mid-priced attachable bi-pods that are fully adjustable for any position from prone to standing? I will be attaching it to a Savage Model 12FV. I will most often be sitting on a stool but would like the option available to use the bi-pod lying down or standing. I'm 6' 1".

87predator
05-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Not sure if there is "one"that will fit that wide range, but I use caldwel 6-9" bipod plus a set of sticks, can cover all ranges.

5spd
05-16-2012, 04:56 PM
The ones you will find are either 6-9', 13-27', or 30" - 69" for standing. I have yet to see one bipod that will go from 9" to 60".

Dogbone
05-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Not sure if there is "one"that will fit that wide range, but I use caldwel 6-9" bipod plus a set of sticks, can cover all ranges.

Ditto. The right size for sniping those varmints in the prone position. Shooting sticks for the others.

Leonardo63
06-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I come from a time when there was only one choice (and no internet), the Harris- It has served me well but it was a tall one and I always wanted a short one. the advantage was I could get above the really bad mirage at ground level so I shot in a sitting position, not so great for stability.
i recently bought a Caldwell 6-9 pivot and I love it on a shooting bench, perfect with a rear bag. For the price, it's a good value to me. It is great to see the offerings out there, so many choices. It wasn't always the case. personally, I stay away from the "cheapest" stuff, it usually only dissapoints.
As for shooting standing, I think sticks are your best bet.

Dogbone
06-18-2012, 09:47 AM
The Harris bipods are very good. Also quite expensive. I have mostly Shooters Ridge. Less expensive and work very well. Never had any probelms. Don't think they make the kind that swivel? Have not found that to be a problem.

calib
06-18-2012, 07:13 PM
i have never had a caldwell bi pod, but i have a few of the harris bi pods and have had great customer service with the one that needed upgraded.

quickkillaught6
06-18-2012, 09:30 PM
1019-I am 6'2" and I agree with the answers so far. If you are going to be hunting coyotes I would strongly recommend a 13-27 or what ever the 3 stage bipod is I have one myself but I will say this shooting sticks are unreplacable coyotes are fast moving and an outstretched 29" bipod can be a real pita in the brush or snow. I shot 35 dogs and 4 fox 2 years ago and not one was shot off a pod the only reason I have it is, I outstretch it when I make my stands and put the gun in my shoulder so it's already up and pointing in the approximate direction (less movement) and you have a free hand to call with but even a 29" I have to croutch sometimes depending on terrain just my experience and .02€ might save you some money. Good luck with whatever you choose!!

daniel brothers
06-18-2012, 10:44 PM
I use both the 29" caldwell bipod.... and also carry the tall primos trigger sticks. The bipod is good on level ground... but the trigger sticks comes into play when hillsides won't allow the bipod's legs to reach the ground well... or if I need to stand up by a bush or something... that's when the trigger comes in real handy... and the triggers can pivot left... right... and all around because of pulling the trigger.... and bipods and regular shooting sticks can bind you up sometimes during fast action.

Fly boy
07-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I have a Vanguard equalizer 2 and LOVE it. It will work for a great prone bi-pod for taller individuals. It has tons of movement for the gun. You can find them at wal-mart or Sutherlands for about $50-55.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Vanguard-Equalizer-2-Sitting-Style-Bi-Pod&i=421633&aID=513F6A&merchID=4006

243LPR
07-28-2012, 09:29 AM
The Caldwells' are cheaply made.Had the leg bolts come out already,luckily at home and not hunting.I think for the money shooters ridge are hard to beat,harris if you want the best.

jiwilliams
07-29-2012, 05:22 AM
One other idea for sitting is to use a camera tripod with one of these http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/apps/webstore/products/show/838264