PDA

View Full Version : Bedding my 111FCXP3

Rattleakak
05-15-2012, 11:29 PM
I getting ready to bed my action, any last words of advise? I am noticing that the barrel does not sit centered in the barrel channel. Is this a problem? Should I remove a little material around the steel pillars? It is a factory synthetic stock. Is the probelm the barrel channel of excess stock material in the receiver area causing it to not sit centered in the channel? A piece of paper slides easily through the channel but there is a pretty apparent clearence difference in the relationship between the barrel and the two sides of the channel. Is this something to even worry about? I am cutting my teeth on this stock as I am really excited to squeeze as much accuracy out of this rifle as possible for as little money as possible. my time is free ;D
Thanks so much for all your guy's help

jonbearman
05-16-2012, 08:02 PM
If you can,go to stockys and see what they have for less than 200.00 right now for your specific rifle. Bedding may help alittle , but that stock is so flexible you will never know it true accuracy potential.

ellobo
05-17-2012, 01:36 AM
If you would like a decent laminate stock check Boyds website. they have 3 different models to fit a Savage. All drop ins, very stiff, can be easily bedded although they need pillars. Under $100 and for an extra $50 you can get it checkered.

El Lobo

rinodods
05-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Those boyds are a good deal and putting pillars in isn't bad. Just did a featherweight thumbhole recently. It would have worked fine off the shelf but I knew bedding and pillars would only make things better. If you don't want the work then shoot for something with an aluminum block like a choate or B&C medalist. It will be money well spent.

For bedding the factory I would remove a good deal of material and ensure the action is actually sitting on the pillars before you bed. You are going to fill that space up with epoxy anyway so you don't have to be real shy on removing some plastic. That includes behind the recoil lug. I would also suggest devcon steel putty as a bedding material. Wrap the barrel with just enough tape to ensure it centers in the channel. You can also wrap the tang with a couple strips to ensure clearance and center on that end but you shouldn't really need it. Test fit often before you start to even think about mixing up the glass. Maybe use some 1/4-28 screws from the hardware store in the action wrapped with tape to center them in the pillars. Take the heads off so you just have a threaded rod that can slide right down into the pillars from the top with the screws in the action. This helps a lot when getting everything setup. You really want that pillar contact and proper clearance of the barrel and tang before you bed. Plumbers putty works pretty well for filling up little areas of the action and keeping the epoxy from going all over inside the stock. It is also a little easier to get cleaned out after the fact. Kiwi shoe polish is a good way to go for a release agent. Love it!

Rattleakak
05-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all for the input, I am going B&C Duramaxx, I just don't think bedding
my factory Tupperware is worth it, as good as the experience may be. Its so floppy and too narrow for my liking. In my opinion it's kind if like polishing a turd. Atleast mine is a turd, I know others really like them so not trying to flame on others gear. I may keep it around or sell it off, it's got a awesome ATACS style paint job!