PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use Robert Snyder as a smith?

BoilerUP
05-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I know Fred Moreo and Kevin Rayhill are who most folks think of as go-to Savage gunsmiths...but I've seen good reviews about Robert Snyder on the interwebs and he evidently does a bit of Savage work too.

Thinking about sending him a 110 action to true up; price is the same as SSS @ $125 but turnaround time should be MUCH better.

Just curious if anybody here has used Robert for any work on their rifles.

82boy
05-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Thinking about sending him a 110 action to true up; price is the same as SSS @ $125 but turnaround time should be MUCH better.

He may be able to true the action, (many smiths can.) but the magic is in the timming of the action, (Few gunsmiths understand this, but highly competitive benchrest shooters know what this is about.) without it you have nothing. I would talk to him, and if he is going to try to smith it like a Remington, then stay away.

ellobo
05-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Fred has developed special tooling for trueing and timing an action that no-one else has. The lug ramps are one of the things he does. Plus other things that no-other gunsmith knows can or should be done. Fred will give you a lot more for your $125 than anyone else. Your action will be smooth as silk and reliable.

El Lobo

BoilerUP
05-16-2012, 07:05 AM
but the magic is in the timing of the action

Can you help explain what action timing does and why it is beneficial?

My primarily desire for this comes not from eeking out every last hundredth of an inch in accuracy (I don't drive the rifle well enough to see it), but primarily slicking up the bolt beyond what Rayhill's bolt lift kit provides.

82boy
05-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Can you help explain what action timing does and why it is beneficial?

Just look in the FAQs section.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,4899.0.html

Timming is important in ensuring constant ingnigton. Unless you are shooting small groups, or score, you may never notice what the benifits of proper timming is. Timming will ensure that your have a correct cocking ratio, correct primary extraction, smoother bolt opening, and closing, and enough firing pin travel. I can say with my dealings with custom actions, if you are short on firing pin travel it will reak havok, on shooting small groups.

As said before, any smith can true an action, it is not a hard job, but not everysmith understands proper timming, or even knows how to achive it, or have made the proper tooling to measure, or correct this. Just make sure your compairing apples to apples, when you looking for work. Just because something is done faster, or cheaper doens't mean it is the same or better. lets put it this way, there is a reason why SSS is booked up, and other smiths are not. I would lay down a paycheck that this smith has not worked on, or even seen half of the Savage actions that SSS has touched.

ellobo
05-17-2012, 01:49 AM
AMEN brother 82 boy.

El Lobo