PDA

View Full Version : Pics of T&T bolt ramp mod?

dolomite_supafly
12-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Can someone post pictures of the bolt ramp recontouring that is done during a T&T?

Thanks
Dolomite

pd721el
12-05-2009, 06:43 AM
I think this is what you want? sorry for the poor quality my camera was having trouble focusing.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii326/pd721el/Misc038.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii326/pd721el/Misc039.jpg

dolomite_supafly
12-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks, I was just seeing if I wanted to try it myself.

Dolomite

82boy
12-05-2009, 11:37 AM
SSS has a special jig made to re-cut them ramps, I would not recommend doing so your self without building a jig.

Smokepole
12-05-2009, 05:12 PM
It could easily be done on a CNC lathe w live tooling from off axis with a little programming time. There's other much easier ways to reduce bolt lift, but they cost a shade of lock time.

dolomite_supafly
12-05-2009, 05:19 PM
It could easily be done on a CNC lathe w live tooling from off axis with a little programming time. There's other much easier ways to reduce bolt lift, but they cost a shade of lock time.

Explain please.

Dolomite

gmidbrod
12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Is it known for sure that the SSS mod does not cost lock time as well?

Smokepole
12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I've got a thread a page back about the ramp. All the info is there.

gmidbrod
12-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Does SSS improve the slop in the fit of the cocking pin to the cocking piece when doing the T&T process? My cocking pin has an obvious slant to the rear resulting in poor surface contact with the cocking ramp.

Smokepole
12-06-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't know about SSS, but Stockade threads the back of the firing pin nut and installs a small set screw to lock the cocking pin. I have mixed feelings on that. If you do indeed have a lot of slop there, it's probably a good thing. Otherwise I don't think it is. As long as the cocking pin can rotate, you've got a round wear surface that constantly changes surfaces both in the cocking ramp and on the sear, and receiver raceway. Plus, the screw adds mass to the firing pin which does no good for lock time.

And, it's not known if the SSS ramp mod costs lock time or not for sure. If he uses the same spring basically he's increased preload and decreased travel. Both of which improve lock time. His mod requires retiming the sear which is nothing more than bending the lower tab near the trigger. But it's got to be bent correctly. The increased preload will make the trigger pull slightly heavier.

gmidbrod
12-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Smokepole, I thought about it a bit more and would agree with what you say about the travel. However, I don't know the SSS necessarily ends up increasing pre-load. From what I can tell, the pre-load would be determined by the bolt assembly screw holding pressure against the cocking piece sleeve rather than where the cocking pin rests on the bottom of the cocking ramp. However, the travel is definitely shortened. I suppose if the bolt lift kit is installed without shortening the BAS or the cocking piece sleeve, the pre-load would be increased. Maybe that is the long version of what you are saying anyway.

hi-tek, being a very technical and analytical person myself, SmokePole is just that. It is clear to me that much analysis and examination has been done to figure out how the parts are working together. Also, from what I have gathered there appears to be no lack of research on Smokepole's part either.

Smokepole
12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Tis true. None of this is 'black art'. A rifle is a conglomeration of parts just like a piece of industrial equipment, or a smallblock Ford V8. While 'learn by doing' is a good approach, Newton didn't jump off a building to see how gravity worked. I can't afford to ruin bolt body after bolt body experimenting, so I prefer to actually figure out what will work before I go down a road I can't come back up. And I wanted to see how lock time and firing pin energy can be kept at optimum levels but still get reduced bolt lift. And of course I want to do it as cheaply as possible!

Awesome news gmidbrod. You're right about the BAS preloading the spring. But, the cocking pin nut has to be screwed down further on the pin to get the cocking pin in the right place, so that would increase the 'un-cocked preload'. The small pivot or 'lift kit' they install probably is what spaces the cocking sleeve out enough to engage the back of the firing pin spring in its new location. That would in effect just lengthen the BAS.

gmidbrod
12-07-2009, 01:08 PM
" While 'learn by doing' is a good approach, Newton didn't jump off a building to see how gravity worked. "

- I bet he threw a bunch of different things off the roof though - LOL