PDA

View Full Version : 300wsm

savage300slayer
12-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi I am new to the forum. Just wondering I have a savage weather warrior Model 16FHSAK in 300wsm. Trying to take a little more recoil out of the rifle do they make any aftermarket stocks or tactical aftermarket stocks for this rifle and I am also thinking about buying a bull barrel any aftermarket bull barrels? thanks for your time.

EFBell
12-04-2009, 11:45 AM
You can find all the goodies your after around here. Not much to do for recoil unless you add weight, use light bullets / reduced loads, buy a barrel with a brake or get a brake installed on your barrel. I use a 300 WSM with 180 grain bullets. For bench shooting it's a handful but in the field the recoil is no issue.

laportecharlie
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
The model 16 is a fairly light gun and the 300WSM is a pretty stout round. All that = RECOIL. I have the same gun in LH and I don't shoot it off the bench anymore. Just one or two rounds to confirm zero and off to the field it goes. AS EFBell said, you don't notice the recoil when there is game in the sights. BTW, I put a HiViz X-Coil recoil pad on mine and it made quite a difference.
Charlie

ligonierbill
12-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Assuming your issue with recoil is shooting off a bench, try a lead sled before modifying your rifle. I recently purchased a Weather Warrior in .338 Win Mag, and although it's not nearly as fierce as advertised, it does wear you out. Next time out, when I will be testing loads or otherwise putting a lot of rounds through, that's my plan. Of course, on the bench or prone, you take the whole punch. In most field shooting, you get to "roll with the punch". I'm also assuming this is a hunting rifle. If bench shooting is its primary use, mod away.

tammons
12-05-2009, 11:26 AM
A good stock like a duromax will help mitigate recoil quite a bit.
Had one on a 375 and it was nice.

Use a past pad at the range.

For plinking use light bullets like 110 Vmax over a reduced load with H4895.

Three44s
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Check out Knox Industries:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Rifle-CompStock,218,166.htm

For some reason ....... blackhawk has not seen fit to do Savages.

However, the insert is for sale ...... and you could place it in a synthetic stock yourself.

AND, it is said that any stock that Hogue does ....... Blackhawk will also do as a retrofit:

http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/whatsnew.html#Newrifles

It's a new day dawning!!!

Three 44s

tammons
12-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Just make sure you have a scope with a lot of eye relief.

bigngreen
12-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I shot a 12 lbs 338LM this summer that had two Edwards recoil reducers in the butt stock and man it made a huge difference in the recoil, it really takes the edge off and you get more of a shove.