PDA

View Full Version : Lug lapping

Pages : 1 2 [3]

1jonzmith
05-21-2012, 03:32 PM
The bold bodies, and bolt heads are not hard chromed. The bolt bodies are a carbon steel in the white, that have been heat treated, (And are harder than the hubs of heck.) and the bolt bodies are made from stainless.

OK! According to Savage Customer Service, Engineering Department doesn't talk to customers, The bolt bodies and bolt heads have never been chromed....ever. Their words. Both the bolt body and heads are made from the same alloy steel....didn't have the number as that is "engineering's" purview. The dept that I can't talk to!!!! BUT, neither the bolt bodies or heads are stainless in the NON stainless version of the action. HUMMMMMM! Didn't think to ask whether the bolt body is SS in the SS action but I suspect it isn't. But, to say that bolt bodies are stainless without a qualification would seem to be "not entirely correct". At any rate, I am working with what Savage told me and that is also subject to "what I heard the man say". In my self defense, I am not entirely without skill at listening.

Thanks All,

John

sharpshooter
05-21-2012, 04:35 PM
You'll probably never get a straight answer even from an engineer. Here's what I know for a fact:
The bolt heads are made from special profiled stock, 41L40 and heat treated to 35-42 Rc.
The bolt bodies are made from 1020 tubing and carbo-nitrided (case hardened)to a depth of .012-.015" @ 50 Rc.

ellobo
05-21-2012, 05:24 PM
After reading all the posts about lapping lugs I see that all the posts seem to be saying 'What if?" this or that. I have come to the conclusion we have a solution desperately in need of a problem.

El Lobo

82boy
05-21-2012, 05:27 PM
After reading all the posts about lapping lugs I see that all the posts seem to be saying 'What if?" this or that. I have come to the conclusion we have a solution desperately in need of a problem.
El Lobo

Very well said.

1jonzmith
05-23-2012, 02:36 AM
El Lobo

Very well said.

+1

SS,

Thank you. I had a knife made from D2 alloy. When it was finished and delivered I was delighted at the craftsmanship. Beautiful! Then I dropped it on my hearth stone and the tip "BENT". WTF? Had it tested and it came in RC40. That is the untempered/hardened workable D2. It came back RC60+....harder than a file's RC58. But it is brittle for anything but tool steel or a special profiled knife.

Heat treating is a MUST and it is also difficult and time consuming to do right. I am surprised that they are only getting RC 50 on the bolt nitriding. My bolt has scratches in the side from dragging on the SS action. That doesn't seem that that would be possible buy little of this makes any final sense from my perspective. I had been considering having my action nitrided after I make sure the ramps are actually both depressed equally from the mouth/front of the action.

Thaqnks for taking the time to get into this. I know you are busy.

John