PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Magazine Types

MaestroManDan
05-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I just had a sort of brain flash whilst viewing the Savage Arms website, I'm wondering whether it's really possible to execute. I own a Savage 16FLHSS, the left-hand Weather Warrior, in .308 Winchester. I like detachable box magazines, though. You can't buy a 16 model with BOTH left hand and a detachable box mag, so several years ago I went ahead and got the left-hand since ergonomics were the more important thing to me. Since I bought it, I haven't been able to get a good look at the box mag models to see if they're similar enough to switch out.

My question to y'all is this: is it possible to remove the hinged floor plate internal mag from a 16FLHSS and replace it with a detachable version?

stangfish
05-13-2012, 07:30 PM
When will you lefties quit? First you want a left hand rifle now you wan a DBM to go with it. What next. A left hand scope with the windage adjustment on your side? Or a lever action with left load and left eject. Geeeesh!

The important thing as far as compatability would be the bolt spacing. Yours being a short action. There are two common bolt spacings, the older 4.27 and the newer 4.4 inch. The other minor issues are if the stock you are looking for is an accutrigger. They are the 4.4 spacing, but I think there are workarounds for that as well

MaestroManDan
05-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Mine is the AccuTrigger/AccuStock from 2009, so I take it that would mean it's a 4.4 inch? Would this (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/769744/cdi-precision-trigger-guard-for-aics-detachable-box-magazine-savage-10-short-action-with-44-screw-spacing) work, then? The 16 is just a SS version of the 10, so I assume so. Only thing that worries me is whether all that's required is replacing the trigger guard, or if other stuff also has to be modified and/or replaced to mount this trigger guard and use the AICS magazines.

handirifle
05-13-2012, 11:05 PM
When will you lefties quit? First you want a left hand rifle now you wan a DBM to go with it. What next. A left hand scope with the windage adjustment on your side? Or a lever action with left load and left eject. Geeeesh!

And your point is????????? ;) The short answer is yes. ;D Or how about a Savage left bolt, right port target receiver?

82boy
05-14-2012, 12:21 AM
And your point is????????? ;) The short answer is yes. ;D Or how about a Savage left bolt, right port target receiver?

SSS had a few done (Special Run) If I remember right they had a hard time selling them.

MaestroManDan
05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
So it IS possible to put a DBM into my current rifle. Will the component I linked to on MidWay work for it?

cgeorgemo
05-14-2012, 09:05 PM
A left hand scope with the windage adjustment on your side?

Turn it 90 degree counter clockwise and viola. You now have a left hand scope with windage adjustment on the left.

stangfish
05-14-2012, 09:52 PM
OK, Im not the accutrigger expert but some of this depends on where your bolt release is. So where is yours?

John_M
05-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Maestro, I have a couple of suggestions: 1) Call Savage Arms. There is a very knowledgeable woman in Customer Service who knew EXACTLY what I had to do to convert my rifle from an internal magazine to a detachable box magazine. She also knew exactly what parts I needed and why I needed them; 2) At least for the moment, do not purchase parts from other suppliers unless you know for certain they will fit your rifle. You could end up wasting much of your hard earned money.

The detachable box magazine has added much enjoyment to my shooting experience and is well worth the cost.

MaestroManDan
05-16-2012, 03:10 AM
Thanks John, I'll call them later this week!