PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Loading 50gr. Varmint Grenades in .223

Quickshot
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I need some advice on loading 50gr. Varmint Grenades in .223. In order to get a satisfactory AOL off the ogive, these 50s seat pretty far down into the powder charge. I'm using Varget and would rather not change powder if I can get away with it. 26gr. of Varget gets some compression. Backed it up to 25.5 grs. and get minute of groundhog, hope to do better, but still concerned about seating so deep into the case. There does not seem to be any visible pressure problem yet. Do I need to be concerned? Thanks in advance for any input. Quick

1Shot
12-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I need some advice on loading 50gr. Varmint Grenades in .223. In order to get a satisfactory AOL off the ogive, these 50s seat pretty far down into the powder charge. I'm using Varget and would rather not change powder if I can get away with it.

...What do you call satisfactory....How far off the lands are you..???...I've run 26.6grs of Varget under my 69's before so I see no reason why the 50's would give you a problem at 26grs.

Quickshot
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
My best group came with .027. Have tried .007, .022 also. The Varmint Grenade is overall longer than the 60 grain Bergers that I had used in this rifle. They also have a less tapered point that causes them to seat farther back into the case. Should I be concerned about the depth that I need to seat these into the case? Most of the other bullets I have used were all longer tapered and I have not experienced the need to seat so far into the case. Quick

1Shot
12-04-2009, 03:51 PM
...If they shoot good at .027.. I would'nt worry about it...Factory loads are stuffed down the neck...

Quickshot
12-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the response. In all these years of shooting these .223s I have never purchased a factory rd. always roll my own. Never used any bullets that caused any doubts. If I have any more problems for this forum I hope 1shot comes in on them. The avatar is mesmerizing. Mr. moderator you can delete this to make room for fresh stuff, I'm satisfied, Thanks. Quick