PDA

View Full Version : Savage takeoff barrel value, LH

ba_50
12-04-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm thinking about a new LH Savage tactical rifle with the clip in .223. A 6.5" twist barrel sounds better for vmax bullets. One experimenter said he was getting golf ball size exit holes at 600 yards with this setup at 2800 FPS. What would the new factory barrel sell for? I assume LH barrel threads are the same as RH.

Armed in Utah
12-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Yes.......RH & LH threads are the same........

Some take off bbl's will sell faster than others....

A 6.5x55 (if Savage offered it) would sell faster than a 30-06....

A 220 Swift would sell faster than a 223......

More common bbl's sell slower....unless its a super great deal

ba_50
12-04-2009, 04:09 PM
It would be a .223.

handirifle
12-04-2009, 10:12 PM
I am curious about a couple items in your original post. What weight Vmax, to start, and regarding the "golf ball sixe exit holes", exiting from what? Was 2800 the MV or impact velocity? I am thinking this MUST be MV since I seriously doubt any 223 fired bullet will be doing 2800 at 600yds.

Wondering what weight Vmax would need a 6.5" twist. That is VERY sharp. If I recall correctly, the 1-7 will stabilize the 80gr bullets

J.Baker
12-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Someone's feeding you a pile of horse-dung. ::)

A 1-6.5" twist is to fast for any commercially available .224" bullets, except maybe for a short barreled AR trying to push 80-90gr bullets. Also, given the fact that the heaviest .224" V-Max is 60 grains, you wouldn't need anything faster than a 1-9" twist. (1-9" twist with the .223 Rem will usually stabilize bullets up to 69gr.)

ba_50
12-05-2009, 08:03 AM
The article was in one of those AR only magazines, but he built a .260 Savage bolt gun so the .223 might have been a bolt also. I believe he was a game warden thinning out a herd and testing the .223 on them. I assume it was Muzzle V and he stated it wasn't necessary to move them fast which of course help on barrel life.

It might take a few days before I can check it out again. I wanted to see what barrel make he was using.

pa hog
12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
ba 50- the gun your looking for is in the clasifieds for sale but you need to be a paid member of the site to see it. And what you'll save on the gun will more than cover the cost of a membership.

ba_50
12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Here is my update. He used 90 gr. Berger VLD bullets. They didn't have the explosive effect under 200 yards. He tried Amax ( not V max ) bullets with a high BC. which worked well. It was a bolt action. He is a wildlife biologist, not game warden. The velocity was about 2700-2800 fps. Fast isn't always better I guess.

The article is in something like Complete AR magazine. Number #74 I think.

Sounded pretty knowledgeable to me.

Doesn't anyone know what a takeoff .223 tactical barrel sells for?

Whoever has the rifle for sale, I'd like to know what you want for it. I might be better off selling a new barrel than a used one, but then I don't know what you want for it. No offense, but why would someone send that kind of money to a complete stranger? FFL or not? Just curious.

Uncle Jack
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Send USPS money order or personal check via USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation and you have all kinds of recourse if the deal goes bad.

ba_50
12-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Uncle Jack,

That sounds better than Pay Pal, Ebay, and Discover Card!

Uncle Jack
12-09-2009, 10:37 PM
It certainly is not as quick as PayPal and others, but it is a lot safer. PayPal won't do squat to help if the deal goes bad other than give you a lot of lip service. Some credit card companys are better than others when it comes to protecting it's card holders.

ba_50
12-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Here is some more information from Jay Langston you might be interested in.........

I read your post and wanted to share some insight. I wrote the article you mentioned. You might wiish to move up your cartridge chambering for your bolt gun to a .22-250. The loads that Gary Cook was loading to get the bullets up to 2,800 are HOT! for a .223 Remington with bullets this heavy. I didn't put his load in print and won't share it for safety reasons. Since it was an AR magazine we were theorizing that the heavy, high BC bullets would work single-shot in the AR-15 platform. They do, and have confirmation from Norman Brux at Brux Barrels. He's chambered several barrels for a military rifle team aromorer that they shoot single shot in competition.

Anyway, you can reach the needed velocities much easier, and with a broader range of powders with the larger 22-250 case. Barrel life will be longer, too. The barrels he's got on his 223 Remington and 22-250 are Brux. His 260 Remington barrel is a Lothar Walther. I'm building a 260 Remington rig with a factory varmint contour Lothar Walther. I've got the barrel headspaced but have to wait for my stock to arrive.

Best,
Jay Langston
To Admin

Jaybird62
Basic User

Fast-twist .224
« Sent to: ba_50 on: December 10, 2009, 12:34:09 PM » Quote Reply Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I don't mind if you post my message.

Another thing to consider when building a long-range rig is the optics. Gary Cook and I wanted a bullet that has a high enough B.C., and a velocity range that will allow us to tune our rigs so that the Mil dots on a tactical scope will line up with 100-yard increments. There's a strong correlation between bullets with a .500+ B.C. and the 2,700 to 2,850 fps range that lines up with the mil dots. If you zero at 100 yards, then the first dot is within an inch or so of impact at 300 yards. The second dot lines up with the bullet's flight path at 400 yards, and so on until you reach the 700-yard mark, which lines up with the top of the post. If you do your target range estimation beyond 700 yards, it's a simple matter to crank in your elevation from the 4th dot, whereby you don't have to make as many clicks of adjustment by comparison with adding clicks of elevation from the crosshairs. (I'm shooting a Bushnell 3200 Elite 5-15X.)

If you are trying to save money on powder, then you should consider that a $28 can of powder will fill a 5.56 case with for less than 12 cents at max capacity. A .22-250 can be filled to max capacity for a little less than 17 cents. Given the variables in barrel/powder/primer/bullet combinations you will probably be more likely to get a super accurate load if you have a wider range of powders to chose from by virtue of loading down a .22-250 vs. loading a 5.56 case to max capacity.

Best of luck,
Jay

Since I would be in the 90 grain bullet area with a .223 or 22/250, I think i will stick to my original idea of using a .260 or .243. That of course would require a .308 bolt head, not a .223. Bob