PDA

View Full Version : Bolt assembly screw question

joeb33050
05-12-2012, 05:37 AM
The bolt assembly screw doesn't want to start easily. I screw it in, it stops, obviously threaded wrong. I unscrew it, start over, on and on. Sometimes it takes me 15 minutes to get the screw started correctly. When it DOES start correctly, it screws right in with the allen wrench, no problem at all.
Any ideas?
Thanks;
joe b.

GaCop
05-12-2012, 06:22 AM
It's best to have the FP uncocked making the BAS screw in easier. Screw the BAS in a few threads and then recock the FP. Once cocked, screw in the BAS until tight. I use a square shank screw driver to cock the FP but you can also do it on the edge of a table or work bench.

BobT
05-12-2012, 08:19 AM
I had one that was a little difficult, I chucked it up in the lathe and turned a short lead to the minor thread diameter and chased the threads. That cured the problem.

It's best to have the FP uncocked making the BAS screw in easier. Screw the BAS in a few threads and then recock the FP. Once cocked, screw in the BAS until tight. I use a square shank screw driver to cock the FP.

Me too!

Bob

1jonzmith
05-12-2012, 12:46 PM
What GaCop said.

bootsmcguire
05-12-2012, 01:15 PM
+1 with GaCop said. 99.9% of the time that will work great.

However, my most recent action seems to have a double thread for the first 5 threads inside of the bolt body. 1 time you'll hit the right threads and it will screw right in, next time you'll hit the doubles and it will tun in 3 or so revolutions and then just stop, and no its not cross-threading. You can see the extra threads when you look down the bolt body. If yours screws down good with the allen wrench then what GaCop said will work great.

GaCop
05-13-2012, 08:06 AM
+1 with GaCop said. 99.9% of the time that will work great.

However, my most recent action seems to have a double thread for the first 5 threads inside of the bolt body. 1 time you'll hit the right threads and it will screw right in, next time you'll hit the doubles and it will tun in 3 or so revolutions and then just stop, and no its not cross-threading. You can see the extra threads when you look down the bolt body. If yours screws down good with the allen wrench then what GaCop said will work great.

Ya learn somthing every day! Thanks for that info.