PDA

View Full Version : 110BA Action Question

CAPTBEACH
05-11-2012, 12:12 PM
OK...so I am thinking of building a very stout Savage Long Range build...Savage does not offer a LA Target Action....BUT IT APPEARS as if it uses a sort of hybrid on the 338LM 110 BA...it looks as if the action is a right port right bolt repeater of sorts...it looks completely different than the LA in the 110BA 300WM and the SA 10BA .308...it also appears to be the same 110BA 338LM style on the 110 FCP HS series

So...does anyone have any close up pics of the 110BA 338LM action to support this (I cant find any) and what is the Savage designation of this action?

I'd love to score one without having to by a whole rifle...if the 110 FCP HS 338LM has the same action that would be the cheaper route than buying a 110BA simply to harvest the action...

My end goal would be to take one of these action and have it trued and timed as well as having a very high end barrel with its threads trued along with the barrel nut to put an even more robust barreled action into long range service...rifle will be chambered for 300WM, utilize a McMillan Game Scout stock and a Jense Precision ABS carbon wrapped barrel. Suppressor capable.

Think of a quiet mile gun... ;D

Corprin
05-12-2012, 12:58 AM
I had the same idea for my next build.

I found the same thing you have, the action seems to be a long action version of the "target" action. The barrel nut looks to be a large shank, and looking at the bolt head on midway, looks like the tabs are equally large. IF Savage would produce that action in .300 RUM or something along those lines I would be happy... I absolutly love the look of my 12 LRP, and wish I could build something on a similar action in long calibers.

IF we could find someone that has both a 110 BA/LRH in .338lm, and a standard magnum rifle, we could get some pics of the bolts next to each other, etc.

cgeorgemo
05-12-2012, 01:46 AM
Looking at the high res photos available on the Savage Website it appears that they are normal LA Large shank actions finished in matte black like any other.

Corprin
05-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Looking at the high res photos available on the Savage Website it appears that they are normal LA Large shank actions finished in matte black like any other.

The .338lm is milled like a target action.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jybVUPzNheE/S_BlKH3qhTI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/B6UF1hpOkjo/s1600/IMG_2473.jpg

cgeorgemo
05-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Okay I don't see the visual cues that make that .338 receiver look any different from my LA 25-06 in the safe besides the large shank.
I was looking at the high res photos you can download from Savage.

geargrinder
05-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Look at the loading port. It is oval shaped like a target action. The opening does not extent past 12 O'clock the way regular actions do.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/bKZ0lE02P_oa6EPDuEW.png

cgeorgemo
05-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Look at the loading port. It is oval shaped like a target action. The opening does not extent past 12 O'clock the way regular actions do.

Cool thanks for pointing that out. I knew from corprin's post I was missing something obvious.

bquillin
05-12-2012, 02:12 PM
I have a 110 ba, the action is basically a right bolt right port la target action minus the target trigger and the three action screws, it only has two. Hope that help

CAPTBEACH
05-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I have a 110 ba, the action is basically a right bolt right port la target action minus the target trigger and the three action screws, it only has two. Hope that help

EUREKA....I KNEW IT...

Could you post a couple of close up pics of your action? What is the screw spacing?

Capt Beach

Corprin
05-13-2012, 02:22 AM

EUREKA....I KNEW IT...

Could you post a couple of close up pics of your action? What is the screw spacing?

Capt Beach

^^^ This... and if you could post a pic of the bolt itself, with a measuring tape or something? I am interested in the baffle and lug dimensions to see if the bolt head can be changed to a standard magnum part for either the WSM SA or standard mag LA.

Thanks!

cgeorgemo
05-13-2012, 05:35 AM
The more I think about it I think it might simply be a Right Port Long Action kind of like the shotgun actions.

On a side note does Savage offer any single shot rifles besides the target actions and the 12 LRPV Left Port?

bquillin
05-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I forgot to mention the bottom of action is cut out for a centered detachable magazine , I will post pics and spacing later