PDA

View Full Version : bullets look like they were pulled with pliers

chesty for president
05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I ordered a bunch of pulled bullets and 99% of them have dents in the sides of them from being pulled I'm guessing. The gentlemen I purchased them from is more than willing to refund my money but is explaining to me that the jacket being dented will not effect accuracy at all since its only the jacket and not the bullet itself that is dented. 50% of the bullets have at least three of these dents which I am thinking will effect neck tension.....the seller explained to me that the pressure is enough that it'll take any imperfections out of the bullet before it leaves the muzzle. Please if anyone has input on this I'm all ears and greatly thankful for the headsup.....

Semper Fi

cgeorgemo
05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
As the bullet gets squeezed out the barrel the jacket will take much more damage from the rifling than a bullet puller will do to one.

chesty for president
05-10-2012, 07:31 PM
That is a very very good point sir I didn't even think about that. It looks like this guy used a pair of vise grips to pull these bullets.....I've never used a bullet puller before so I'm pretty clueless on how they work other than a kinetic puller. Thank again for any help

chesty for president
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I changed the topic title after cgeorgemo replied I just wanted to point that out.....if the bullets will be fine to shoot ill be stoked buy they look bad ill try to post pics on here all I have is my phone that I'm sending this message from right now....thank yall again for any advic.

Very Respectfully

Eric in NC
05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
As was said - depends on how bad they are damaged. Collet marks are no problem unless you are shooting matches. Vise grip marks would be a problem. When you send them down the bore at 3000 fps minor marks get ironed out!

Are they military pull downs?

barrel-nut
05-10-2012, 11:48 PM
As Eric pointed out, I wouldn't expect match grade accuracy, but they'd be ok for plinking, as long as they aren't flattened out of round..

scope eye
05-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Hi the way I unload them I feel is very safe, all you have to do is put the round in the proper shell holder in your press "remove dies" then bring the round up to where the bullet just sticks out past the threads where you screw in the dies, clamp the bullet with wire cutters or pliers I use a cable cutter hold lightly you don't need a lot of clamping pressure not to mar the bullet "two slight dimples is all you should have more than that you are clamping to hard" and bring the handle back down slowly and smoothly, a press has a lot of leverage so no brute force is needed, it doesn't take long to get the hang of it and you will be able to reuse all of the components, I use the powder and bullets when I am fire forming my latest AI barrel. I prefer this method to they hammer bullet puller, it just doesn't seem natural to whack a loader round in a hammer and my way you can do 10 in the time you set up to do one the hammer way, and the best part no violent whacking just a smooth cycle of the press. as always re loaders take care or in this case "un loaders"
Thanks Dean

I have done this to thousands of rounds, sometimes to perfectly good rounds, and I will always stand by my conviction that, between my rifles, and the cartridge's that I load, I will always be the weak link and they will shoot better than I ever will.

chesty for president
05-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Hey Mr. Scope eye good to hear from you, Eric in NC yes Sir they are military pulldowns. When I roll them across the table they wobble. I purchased these with the intent of working of loads to get into a few local matches. Ive never shot any type of competition or anything and def do not want to show up with ammo that looks like its been partially demilled lol. The bullets have dents not scratches or light pull marks. I have one thousand of these darn things now. Ill post or send pictures by text if someone wants to see pictures of them.

Semper Fidelis

scope eye
05-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Save them for plinking, for the few times you participate, and they amount time and effort it takes to be competitive, buy a box of nice bullets and save them for the matches, and as far as the batch of pulled ones roll them before loading them "REMEMBER DENT OK--BENT NOT OK" save yourself the grief and aggravation and chuck the bent ones, unless you have a bent barrel then you will have a match set ;D

Tanks Dean

chesty for president
05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
MR scopeeye Ill be keeping them I didnt think about it like that. Thank you for the input. How have you been since the move have you been shooting.

barrel-nut
05-11-2012, 11:02 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/851547/hornady-cam-lock-bullet-puller?cm_vc=S015801830

Works great. No damage to the bullet. Must buy appropriate collett.

scope eye
05-11-2012, 12:00 PM
MR scopeeye Ill be keeping them I didnt think about it like that. Thank you for the input. How have you been since the move have you been shooting.

Hey Shanon I have some what figured this place out, they Adirondack state park has 6 million acres, so you can find a place shoot or get lost or both, and there's a 50 station shooting range that goes out to 200 yards 10 min from the house, speaking of that range, for some reason everyone seems to shoot 50 yards few at 100 yards, I am they only one I know that shoots at 200 yards, you should see the chatter when I return from the 200 yard mark "they can't believe I set it out that far" after setting up my 6 inch by 6inch steel plate pendulum target, and start picking it off and making it swing, With my 249.00 dollar Steven's 200 and 99.00 dollar Vortex, the looks I get are priceless I even offer to let other stations take a shot at it but no takers and a lot members have really nice rigs, and I'm just an average shot, I love it

Tanks Dean

chesty for president
05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Ok I took the bolt cutter pulled bullets to the range today and shot better than I ever have. Im not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. anyway they shot great and Scope Eye thanks for the motivation man to just pull up my skirt and try them out.

scope eye
05-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Bolt cutter pulled bullets "I will be sending you a bill for a new keyboard" ;D the thing I like about this forum is that folks actually go shoot, and not just shoot there mouth off. ;)