PDA

View Full Version : Another oil question

Pages : 1 2 [3]

01-14-2014, 01:40 PM
I don't think I'd worry about it too much, unless the oil was literally running out of the chamber. By swabbing out the chamber before shooting, you're probably doing more than 90%+ of the shooters out there...very few of whom ever experience any problem.

FW Conch
01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
I clean my rifles with CLP and wipe it all off-it works fine. There are more than a few reloader's around who coat their cases with Crisco before fire forming them, with no apparent harm, or I am sure we would have heard about it. Myself, I don't find this necessary. But it does indicate that a little "slick um" doesn't hurt anything. IMHO, not to worry, the Savage action can "handle the load".

efm77
01-14-2014, 09:32 PM
"I don't think I'd worry about it too much, unless the oil was literally running out of the chamber."

That's kinda what I was thinking too that it would have to be a pretty thick/heavy film on the case or chamber to be a problem. You always hear people talk about AR's running better "wet" and my manual for mine says to liberally lube the bolt and carrier so I'm sure some transfers from the carrier to the cartridges as it slides over them in the mag. You don't hear about this causing problems with AR's either. I just have read about it causing possible lug setback from too much thrust on the bolt if there's oil in the chamber and wanted to get others' ideas on it. Thanks for the feedback guys.

efm77
01-19-2014, 05:04 PM
One other thing to think about on this too is that you may not see catastrophic damage with one shot or even know there is a problem. When you're getting too much bolt thrust to cause lug setback, it may only impress in to the lug recesses a little each time rifle is fired. If it does it enough times it can cause you to have excessive headspace which then can lead to things like case head separations etc. But I'm still thinking kinda like y'all are. That is if you have oil on your bolt, some rubs off on to the cartridge and leaves a little film of it on there, it, I doubt it's enough to hurt anything. So long as you don't have so much on either the cartridge or the chamber that the entire thing is thickly coated and running off.