PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: problems with stock

primewish
05-08-2012, 05:33 PM
hello I have a savage 17hmr and I have not abused it all but for some reason the stock has alot of cracks in the laminate all over it. Can someone tell me if this is normal or is there something wrong with it.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/primewish/2012-05-07_17-12-02_939.jpg

thomae
05-08-2012, 06:45 PM
It does not look "structural" to me. It looks cosmetic.

From the photo, it looks like superficial cracking or crazing of the finish. It doesn't appear to go into the wood. Perhaps hand buffing with a bit of paste wax or mineral spirits may help. If not, you some tung oil or teak oil (basically the same thing) might help.

On the other hand, it might not. I don't know what the old finish is.

If the rifle is new, you might consider talking to savage. If you open it up and find it is a Boyd's stock, you could also call them and they might have a suggestion.

primewish
05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I have had the rifle for a couple of years. It does look superficial. i just don't like how it seems to be getting worse. I will try to call savage tomorrow.

boxcar77
05-08-2012, 07:19 PM
It looks like the finish is checking. A lot of old guitars do that. Did you have an extreme temp change. Like was it left out in a car overnight in cold weather and than brought in to a warm house? That will usually cause it.

If the finish is nitrocellulose that is definitely checking. Some guys would kill to have that on their guitars it gives it Mojo..

primewish
05-09-2012, 05:20 AM
No i have not had any extreme temp changes or left it in my car. I have always shot it cleaned it and put it away in the safe.
so do you think it would hurt the value that much?

boxcar77
05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't think it will hurt the value. And if it really bothers you make a weekend of stripping off the finish and putting on a new one. It's not the wood that's cracking just the laquer or whatever Savage/Boyd's finished the stock with.

After looking closer at the picture, is that the only place that's cracking? It might be from A bipod.

jstanfield103
05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
It does look like a finish problem. Some thing was wrong with the clear coat that was used. As already stated I would call Savage and if not satisfied with their response I bet if you sent those pictures to Boyds they may even help you. If that was some thing from my company I would not want it on the internet.