PDA

View Full Version : Stocks with pillars

ss13
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
I am building a 300win mag on a Stevens action. The barrel dia. is going to be .750". I am would like to get an aftermarket stock which has pillars installed. Does body’s or stockys sell laminated stocks with pillars installed? If not is there any manufacturer that sells what I’m looking for?

Also, with a dia of .750 do I need a stock that fits a standard contour or varmint contour?

Thanks

Werewolf
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Boyds stocks and Stockys stocks do not come with pillars installed, but it is not hard to do. A .75 barrel will need a larger barrel channel, so I would go with a "varmint" stock.

82boy
05-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Sharp Shooters Supply's stocks have pillars installed.

rjtfroggy
05-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Stocky's will install pillars for a fee,Boyd's does not.
Do your self a favor buy the stock you want and install them yourself.Go to the hardware store and buy some lamp rod, cut to length, epoxy them in,done. With the cost of everything maybe $10 and a half hour of your time.
Plenty of post here on how to do it.

kevin_stevens
08-30-2012, 04:26 AM
How is the cut to length accomplished? This seems like a fiddly fit with lots of iterative filing to me, compared to the two-piece screw-together pillars (which are unfortunately not notched for the Savage trigger).

Rethink: Or do you just bolt the pillars at approximate/long length to the action, set the height by floating the action on a taped tang and barrel while epoxying the pillars into place, and then grind them down from the bottom to fit flush with the bottom metal? Still seems a PITA. I'm missing something - everyone is treating this measure/fit as very straightforward.

KeS

cgeorgemo
08-30-2012, 11:26 PM
I get the bottom recessed where I want and mark the top of the pillar inside the stock with a Sharpie marker. I mark them about 2 threads proud. Cut them where they are marked.
Tape on the barrel and the tang will keep the action from touching the stock. With the pillars attached to the action I bed it all at once, pillars, action, recoil lug, the whole shooting match so to say...