PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever made a Ti Clone of a Savage Action?

Pages : [1] 2

CAPTBEACH
05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Has anyone ever made a Ti Clone of a Savage Action? Is there even a market for this? Seems like a great way towards building a really light rifle...I know there are dozens of 700 clones out there...just wondering...

Capt Beach

jonbearman
05-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Way to costly,the rem clone is 1600-1800.00.

jhelmuth
05-08-2012, 02:28 PM
No market for it at a price point competitors would pay for (as well as other metalurgy issues that would need to address and drive up the cost).

So there are light weight actions speciffically for the light weight (I think 11 # and under) class rifles. I believe these are aluminum alloy recievers. Still pricey - but not so much as a Ti would be.

CAPTBEACH
05-08-2012, 03:09 PM
No market for it at a price point competitors would pay for (as well as other metalurgy issues that would need to address and drive up the cost).

So there are light weight actions speciffically for the light weight (I think 11 # and under) class rifles. I believe these are aluminum alloy recievers. Still pricey - but not so much as a Ti would be.

YES...for Remington cloned actions...I find NONE for Savage...

jhelmuth
05-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Hmmm.... why would it be important for a Savage clone? My guess is that if you really "needed" such a thing, it wouldn't really matter other than you already have a stock for it and don't wish to change that. I'm sure it kinda hurts to not be as popular as the Remington 700, BAT, etc. actions - but such is the lot in life for Savage. Myself, I'd just make it work the best way I could. I don't see the future holding Savage actions out to be highly desireable (at least not enough to make a lightweight clone) - but maybe that is a market you could go after?

CAPTBEACH
05-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Just thinking out of the box...M700 clones take the 700 series to an distinctly higher level of accuracy and precision...I'm sure the same could be done to a Savage Action...not necessarily in the titanium realm but maybe in SS...think of it...being able to buy an assembled timed and trued action and barrel nut trued as well to build on...

Jamie
05-09-2012, 07:42 AM
How light are you trying to get? Savage already makes a 5.5 lb. rifle.

82boy
05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Whats a TI clone?

jhelmuth
05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Ti = Titanium

82boy
05-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Ti = Titanium

OK now titanium what? action?

jhelmuth
05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
You guessed it... (I believe that was in the title of the thread)

nsaqam
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
How light are you trying to get? Savage already makes a 5.5 lb. rifle.

Yeah, with a 20" barrel, a swiss cheesed action and a swiss cheesed LAMINATE stock!
Not remotely my vision of a desirable lightweight rifle.

I think a Ti Savage action would be a very cool thing.
Add a McMillan EDGE, a 24" #1 contour SS Benchmark barrel, a Leupold VX-2 Ultralight in Talley LW's and you'd have a LA which comes in at comfortably under 7# all up.
Now that is a LW vision I could love.

82boy
05-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Well to start, I dont know of any action made from tititanium. To add there is no savage clones made that I know of. (I would just love to have a savage clone, I have talked to a gunsmith about making a clone, but he is so bussy I dont think it will happen any time soon.) What is wrong with a Panda? I would be suprised if you could ever notice a bit of diference in weight from a Aluminum action, and one made from Tititanium. With a Panda at $1300 I would hate to see what the cost of a Tititium action would be, my guess would be over 2k.

LabRat2k3
05-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Shilen makes a Savage/Remington frankinstien action that is about as close to a Savage clone as I've seen. It has a barrel nut and a floating bolt head like a Savage, but the rest of the bolt, the action screw spacing, trigger, and bottom metal all look to be Remington copies. Having written all of that it seems more Remy than Savage, and it's not Al or Ti so I'm not sure what it even has to do with this thread. I've already typed it so I'm posting it anyway.
http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

nsaqam
05-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Well to start, I dont know of any action made from tititanium. To add there is no savage clones made that I know of. (I would just love to have a savage clone, I have talked to a gunsmith about making a clone, but he is so bussy I dont think it will happen any time soon.) What is wrong with a Panda? I would be suprised if you could ever notice a bit of diference in weight from a Aluminum action, and one made from Tititanium. With a Panda at $1300 I would hate to see what the cost of a Tititium action would be, my guess would be over 2k.

There are several Ti actions out there. The Rem 700 mentioned, the Browning Ti, and there's even a Ti Mauser action out there but the name escapes me right now.
The big difference between aluminum and titanium is that a Ti action can be made slim and trim due to the strength of Ti. You need a lot of aluminum to get acceptable strength.

82boy
05-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Ok, I never seen anyone shooting one, but it does have me currious. I see Remington makes one, and so does Browning, neither shows what the weight of the action by its self is.

I only found one custom action maker that makes a custom tititanium action, and that is X-treme shooting. (Made in Cincinnati Oh.)I tried to contact them to find out information such a price, and there was a message that he was out for knee surjury, and not to leave a message, but e-mail him, so I did. They list the reciever weight (No bolt) at 9.24oz, it is basicly the same dimentions as a standard Remington 700. looks to use a standard steel bolt. A Panda weighs in at 30 OZ (with Bolt) and a Kodiak weighs in at 29 oz (With bolt.) A sprial fluted bolt (Out of a Panda) weighs in at .62 LBS. wich converts out to 9.92 OZ, making a Panda weigh in at 20.08 OZ. WOW, I guess there is a seroius weight reduction from Tititanium! Dang it guys, now I am going to have to buy one if I can get it in a right bolt dual port or left port.
http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/index.php?page=X-Treme%20Ti

ellobo
05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Handguns are made and sold bydifferent makers but on a mass produced basis. The low sales of titanium recievers means they cant make use of the processes used by mass gun makers that keeps cost down. And machining titanium is a bear and has been since its use in manufacture of anything. That is why the high cost of titanium recievers or at least a part of the cost.

Wl Lobo

nsaqam
05-10-2012, 05:55 PM
I understand that Remington farmed out the machining of their Ti actions rather than tooling up and learning up on how to machine Ti.
Ti is very stringy and sticky and it is difficult to machine.

The weight savings are impressive though.

nsaqam
05-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Ti has the highest strength to weight ratio of any metal and in some alloys it can be as strong as steel but 45% lighter.

Definitely a very cool material but I just don't see anyone making a Savage clone from Ti any time soon. A 700 clone surely but not a 110 clone.

savage rookie
05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
IIRC the Ti Mauser action was somewhere around 4500$!!!

I cant rember the name of the company (I believe it is an individual actually) but they are from South Dakota.