PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever made a Ti Clone of a Savage Action?

Pages : 1 [2]

nsaqam
05-10-2012, 09:28 PM
The Ti Mauser I'm talking about is from Stuart Satterlee and it costs $6500 for the complete action!

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/nsaqam/titanium_1.jpg

http://www.satterleearms.com/intermediate.htm

Jamie
05-10-2012, 09:46 PM
How light are you trying to get? Savage already makes a 5.5 lb. rifle.

Yeah, with a 20" barrel, a swiss cheesed action and a swiss cheesed LAMINATE stock!
Not remotely my vision of a desirable lightweight rifle.

Not sure it matters, I was asking the original author a question, but since you answered......

I have no idea of what YOUR vision of a "desirable lightweight rifle" is, but after shooting the Savage version in .260 Rem at under 6 lbs and still producing 1/2" groups @100 yards, that is exactly what MY vision of of a light weight rifle should be.

82boy
05-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Here is the responce I got from extreme shooting.

No benchresters that I know of. Most are sold to high end hunting rifle builders.

Retail price listed below. All receivers are complete ready for a barrel. The titanium is hard anodized, the bolt has a nickel alloy plating and a coat of ceracoat. Receivers come with a titanium recoil lug and a titanium rail.

short action - $1,450
long action - $1,525
.338 - $2050

nsaqam
05-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Very very good pricing on those actions!

I'm impressed.

nsaqam
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
How light are you trying to get? Savage already makes a 5.5 lb. rifle.

Yeah, with a 20" barrel, a swiss cheesed action and a swiss cheesed LAMINATE stock!
Not remotely my vision of a desirable lightweight rifle.

Not sure it matters, I was asking the original author a question, but since you answered......

I have no idea of what YOUR vision of a "desirable lightweight rifle" is, but after shooting the Savage version in .260 Rem at under 6 lbs and still producing 1/2" groups @100 yards, that is exactly what MY vision of of a light weight rifle should be.

Apparently accuracy is your sole criteria for a desirable LW rifle.
I require much more than merely accuracy.
My favorite LW rifle sports a 22" barrel, a quality fiberglass/Kevlar stock, no crud holding flutes or mill cuts, has superb balance, has a claw extractor CRF system, and weighs under 6.5# scoped and loaded full.

You have your vision and I have mine.

savage rookie
05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
That would be the action I was thinking of. 6500$ is insane!

nsaqam
05-11-2012, 04:36 AM
The folks who buy the Satterlee Ti Mauser aren't likely to screw on an A&B barrel and slap it in a Choate!
Pretty amazing to me that there seems to be a market for $6500 actions.
You need to check out the prices D'arcy Echols gets for his fine rifles. $32,000 minimum!
Good for the people selling them though and good for the people fortunate enough to be able to afford buying them.

http://www.echolsrifles.com/pdf/ClassicRifle_Brochure.pdf

CAPTBEACH
05-11-2012, 03:56 PM
I guess one could order a 11 LW in 308 at 5.5lbs, and add a Jense Precision ABS Carbon Wrapped Barrel and still be under the $$$ of a Ti action...if weight AND accuracy were the goal...

Capt Beach

larrys1911
05-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Ya know if those three people hadnt stole my half billion lotto winnings with fake tickets I think I woulda bought a few of those $35K rifles just to see how cool they really are.

still young enough that 10lbs doesnt bother me.

Larry

nsaqam
05-13-2012, 10:18 AM
My winning ticket was stolen too!
What a coincidence.

I didn't mind carrying 10# rifles at all until I carried a 6.5# rifle for a season.

It was nothing less than stunning the difference it made.

ellobo
05-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I didn't mind carrying 10# rifles at all until I carried a 6.5# rifle for a season.

I guess I am the odball. I carry 10+ lb rifles all hunting season and always have. I have never been recoil sensative. Must be a genetic defect. Lightest rifle I ever carried was an M1 carbine that was so inaccurate you would have had better luck hitting a bull in the ass at 25 yds with a bull fiddle.

El Lobo

nsaqam
05-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Try an accurate lightweight rifle for a season and see if you don't change your mind.

I certainly did.