PDA

View Full Version : 6mm AI case length

243LPR
05-08-2012, 08:54 AM
What are the max and trim to lengths for the 6mm AI case? Is it the same as the parent case? I've looked all over and can't find any dimensions for it.

nsaqam
05-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Same as the parent case.

243LPR
05-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Any opinions on what brass to use for the AI,Remington or Winchester? Really not interested in case forming from another caliber and neck turning.

trappst
05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I use winchester for 6mm, 22-6mm and 6mm AI........never had any issues.

Your trim-to length will be dependent on your shortest case after fireforming. Most of the time, cases will shorten slightly while fireforming. I don't trim new cases........just trim after fireforming to a length that allows all the cases to be squared up.

gotcha
05-09-2012, 03:44 PM
+1 for nsaqam & trappst. ........ What type press? Set up of LCD will be dependent on this.

243LPR
05-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Lee classic cast

gotcha
05-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Instructions for LCD set-up will give one method for presses that "cam over" & another for those that don't (Lee classic). Wall thickness of the 6mm Rem brass is pretty thin. Don't think you'll need anywhere near the 25 lbs force recommended by Lee to get good consistent neck squeeze. Ideally you want .001" to .002" difference between diameters of bullet seated nk & sized nk. You can adjust the "neck tension" by making very small adjustments in die depth. However, you might yield a nk thats not perfectly round. In that situation turn the case a half turn & size a 2nd time to get perfectly round necks. ALWAYS dis-assemble the LCD & clean B4 using. You'll often find the LCD's are full of metal chips. Wouldn't hurt to LIGHTLY grease the fingers of the collet for smoother operation & better "feel". Once you've established the best neck tension you might want to discard the Lee lock ring & replace w/ one that locks w/ screw so you can easily return to that setting.

243LPR
05-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanx for all the advice.I'm still piecing things together.

nsaqam
05-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I agree with Gotcha except that I like 1/3rd of a turn before I run the case for the second time.
My reasoning is that since there are four collet fingers turning the case 1/3rd of a turn ensures that the portions of the neck that were beneath the slits in the collet are not beneath them the second time.