PDA

View Full Version : another Nosler question...

fgw_in_fla
05-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Anybody ever use / try the Nosler Combined Technology bullets? I see them advertised on sale & read mixed reviews on them.
Apparently they're coated with black stuff but not moly.

Anyone using them? If so, how do you like them or do you even like them or do they suck too much to want to talk about? :o

Whatcha think? ???

Frank in Fla

1Shot
05-07-2012, 08:47 PM
...I use the 200gr CT's in my .338 Fed. They work fine for me...

fgw_in_fla
05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Can I get you to elaborate a wee bit? Were they better than, equal too or worse than the regular ballistic tips or whatever you were using.

Or is there nothing to make the comparison? I use Nosler BT's almost all the time. I also use Hornady SST's & Hornady soft points, all of which work quite well. I don't want to buy the CT's if someone says "Don't waste your time & money".

I'm looking for someone that maybe compared them to another type bullet that works for them & then they say something like "Geez, these were 100% better or WOW, these are el suckerooni" or something along those lines....

Thanks for you input...

Frank in Fla.

BobT
05-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Frank,
I have shot quite a few of the CT Ballistic Silvertips in my .270, the coating is Lubalox I don't really know what it does but there is no noticeable build up in the bore. I have had great luck with them but I have never noticed any significant differences between them and the regular Ballistic Tips but I never looked really closely either. Grab a box and give them a whirl, if you have a .270 I might have a few laying around I could send you to try.

Bob

fgw_in_fla
05-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the offer. I believe I'll just go ahead and pick up a box of them. My .270 loves 130 gr Nosler BT's. I'll see how it likes the CT type. I was hoping to hear "Less copper / less cleaning"...

When I go to the range, it's a whole day event so, I bring a cleaning kit. I end up dragging a patch soaked with Hoppe's to remove some of the powder foul & a little copper. It likes a little left inside & lets me know when it's too much. After 20 to 25 rounds, it starts to look like a buckshot pattern from an old Mossberg with a short, unchoked barrel.... :o

Thanks again -

Frank in Fla. ;)

durango
05-08-2012, 12:06 AM
I've used them in a 22/250 BVSS with factory barrel (50gr.). I found them to be more consistant and tighter groups than Sierra MKs. Nosler customer service told me that the CTs are the same bullet as their ballistic tips. I have bought more of the CTs and some ballistic tips for trial in my .223 AI. FWIW, Steve

Jamie
05-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Things you may notice with the CT BST:

Takes more shots for the rifle to settle down after cleaning. I had one that would take 15-20 rounds to settle.
Longer shooting time between cleanings.
Less velocity with the same load vs standard BTs.

308law
05-08-2012, 08:56 AM
I've used the 115's in the 25-06 and the standard bt's. I could not tell any difference between the two in accuracy, velocity or performance on game. I think the difference is the color for marketing purposes, and the price.

thomae
05-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Things you may notice with the CT BST:

Takes more shots for the rifle to settle down after cleaning. I had one that would take 15-20 rounds to settle.
Longer shooting time between cleanings.
Less velocity with the same load vs standard BTs.

All that is consistent with "lubed" ammo.

-- If you precoat the barrel with moly paste or the equivalent, you don't have to worry about the "settling down" after cleaning.
The rifle settling down is the coating being deposited on the inside of the barrel. The first shot coats the first part of the barrel. The second shot coats it a little further, and so on and so on until the whole barrel is coated. Hence the "settle down" time.

-- The velocity is slower because the bullet slides down the barrel easier and thus faster. because of this, there is more space for the gas to expand into at any instant in time. More space = less pressure=lower velocity. The coated bullet leaves the barrel sooner than the non-coated bullet. If we presume that the powder burns the same, there is less pressure behind the coated bullet for a shorter time at the instant it leaves the barrel. and there is more pressure behind the non-coated bullet for a longer time at the instant it leaves the barrel.

If that does not make sense, let me know and I'll try to explain it using different words.

You will see similar results in velocity reduction with moly bullets moly coated barrels; TiN coated barrels, or any other treatment that significantly reduces friction.

fgw_in_fla
05-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks to everybody that threw their 2 cent worth in the hat. It seems the general consensus says they are worth a try. I kinda sorta suspected what thomae said. Much like any "lubed" bullet, the pressure will most likely be lower due to less resistance, blah, blah, blah.....

I have a similar situation with getting my rifle to settle down after a cleaning. It likes to be about 8 to 15 rounds dirty. More than that & it shows in accuracy. Cold & clean it's OK but just a wee bit loose but, when it's in the groove, it's great.

I believe I'll have a go at some. Since I've accumulated a bunch of .243 win. stuff over the past few days & plan on throwing together a rifle or two, I may try the Nosler CT's in .243.

Thanks again everyone. ;) You've been most helpful assisting a hard core Nosler fan with the next step.

Frankl in Fla