PDA

View Full Version : Choate Tactical stock issues

chesty for president
05-07-2012, 02:18 PM
I know without Pics itll be kinda tough to explain but here goes. I have a 110 long action right hand bolt. The stock sits up really high in the back, the tang "safety" sits 3/16 or more out of the stock and i cant figure out where my high spot is for nothing. I used metal tape as a temp fix to add layers to even it out but it still sits very awkwardly in the V block setup. I have access to a tig welder and a cnc mill....didnt say I know how to run either one but i have access to them lol. Are the rifles with aluminum v beds difficult to bed or is it better to try and build up material and machine it to hold the action evenly almost like aluminum bedding. Any advice is welcome. I love the stock it looks great but the action is mighty wobbly in the stock right now.

Very Respectfully Submitted

Semper Fi

LabRat2k3
05-07-2012, 06:17 PM
I would "bed" the action with play-do or some modeling clay and see where it was hitting. That will at least give you an idea of where the problem is.

LG
05-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Just as a suggestion, a couple of places to check to see if it's hitting the stock: trigger bracket, sear pin, bolt handle.

One of my Choate stocks originally had the slot for the bolt handle that wasn't deep enough. It was very easy to fix with a round file.

The factory triggers have the sear pin installed right to left. I put a Rifle Basix trigger on one of my rifles, and the instructions said to install the the sear pin left to right (it's a little easier that way). The trigger worked fine but the sear pin would hit the stock (Choate). I reversed the pin (re-installed it right to left like the factory triggers) and it cleared the stock.

Quickshot
05-08-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm trying to help out but when I checked out my Choate stock which is a S.A. and I have a Mod. 12 action w/ Acc Trig. in it, it fits like a glove. It was a drop-in. Are you sure you have a long action stock? Has someone modified the stock before you got it? Don't want to offend but sometimes we overlook the obvious. I'm watching here for the answer you come up with. Quick

chesty for president
05-08-2012, 03:34 PM
The rifle is a long action as well as the stock. One of the replies stated check sear pin......I do in fact have a sav2 trigger and will check that as soon as I can. The stock was cut on a little bit but not anywhere that would make it sit up in the back like it does. I will be getting some clay or playdoh and see where its hitting... ill keep yall posted on my findings...the rifle shoots ok sub MOA out to 400 yards after that it starts to open up.....I think it can do much better once the stock is figured out....thank you all again

Very Respectfully Submitted

jsimonh
05-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I have a SSS trigger on my 112, and for whatever reason I had almost the same issue. On mine it turned out to be the trigger area. I used a dremel tool and removed a lot of material inside the stock around the trigger, and all is well.