PDA

View Full Version : Have a 6BR....want to add 30BR Barrel?

Vartarg
05-07-2012, 12:44 PM
What do I need to do to use a "switch" aftermarket 30BR barrel with my F Class 6mmBR?

Thanks,

George

Eric in NC
05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Barrel nut wrench and an action or barrel vise, BR "go" headspace gauge, dies, brass and that's it.

catfish
05-10-2012, 01:10 AM
You can definitely get by with just a barrel nut wrench. I use a pair of wooden blocks with a hole drilled using a hole saw about the diameter of the action to brake loose stubborn factory set nuts. I put one end of the blocks in a bench vise and the other end i put a pipe clamp on. Once they are broken loose they are never tightened that tight again and can be loosened with just a hammer and the barrel wrench. I just set my headspace to a new resized round then back the barrel off right at or just under 1/8"( not 1/8 turn) and lock her down. I think between me and my uncle we got to have 5 savages and probably 15 barrels. But i dont like switching barrels. I probably have 5 new factory barrels ive removed.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Removing the barrel the first time is the hardest. They come off pretty easy after that. I don't even use blocks after that. Slide the nut wrench on, wrap the barrel with rags and chuck it in a vice. Smack the wrench with a steel hammer and it's loose. Smack the wrench to tighten the nut back on and you're done.
Never had one come loose on maybe 10 barrel swaps. I don't even bother with an action wrench anymore.