PDA

View Full Version : Accu-trigger question.

hawkeye10
05-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I have a Savage model 12 BVSS and at the range yesterday while shooting the weight of the trigger pull changed my it self. When I checked it had increased about 4 oz. What is going on here? Don

earl39
05-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Simply put it is settling in. Most triggers seem to lighten up and allow the safety blade to catch but yours seems to be going the other way. Most triggers also seem to settle in after no more than a couple of adjustments.

hawkeye10
05-06-2012, 02:04 PM
This seemed to happen all at once and I can't get it back to where it was. It is close but not there. Can you change springs on these rifles and get a lighter trigger pull? Don

bootsmcguire
05-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Some people have reported clipping the spring on the Accutrigger with good results. I have done it to one of mine, and it helped some but not as much as i thought it would. My advice is, if you decide to clip, get a backup spring and clip that so you can go back to the original one if needed. As to where to get one, I am not sure. I had extras from buying a couple of take-off accutriggers when I did mine.

1jonzmith
05-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I have read that Savage will NOT sell the spring separately. Especially the won't sell the "target trigger" parts so give up on the idea of changing your accu trig spring to a target spring to get the lower pull rates. In short.....The Savage repair shop is your only recourse. Again, from what I read. If your problem is serious enuff for you to send it back then Boots suggestion makes sense as a possible solution as you have nothing to loose.

Just what was that pull weight that you had and liked? Is yours a Target Trigger?

John

hawkeye10
05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Using a Lyman gauge it measured between 11 and 12 ounces. Now it's reading a pound or a little more. All I do with this rifle is shoot off the bench and I like the trigger light. As for safety when anyone goes down range the bolt comes out. Don

PS It is not the target trigger.

1jonzmith
05-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Using a Lyman gauge it measured between 11 and 12 ounces. Now it's reading a pound or a little more. All I do with this rifle is shoot off the bench and I like the trigger light. As for safety when anyone goes down range the bolt comes out. Don

PS It is not the target trigger.

The Target Trigger is advertised as having a trigger pull range from .5 ponds to ???? The "standard accu- trigger has a min of 1.5 pounds. You have achieved better results than the mfr advertises. Good for you.

I have my Target set for 8 oz. Considering that the "safety" feature takes 4 oz to function I am guessing that my trigger is set to less than 4 oz. It will slam fire, bump fire or any other including "trigger fire" Without the safety feature I would have lost a thumb by now. Yeah Savage.

John

82boy
05-08-2012, 12:45 AM
There could be several thing causing this dirt, parts settling in, operator error. Using a digital trigger guage, can be fine, but things can verry the weight, such as not pulling straigt back on it, and other things can scew readings. Also one or two pulls is not going to give you a good average. I would pull it with it 10 times, record all the reading, and the average it. Try cleaning the trigger with lighter fluid (And ONLY lighter fluid) and the retest the pull.

Willoughby
05-08-2012, 11:05 AM
on my savages w accutrigger , after honing sear engagment surfaces - I put original rear spring in a drawer,
moved blade spring to rear position (requires bending - forming tip up for hole in reciever),
used a ink pen spring for the blade postion & all have been around 1 lb & work great,
all have passed a drop-bump slap test -every time
I own Jewell , huber & other triggers & Im shocked at how this factory trigger works with a little polishing & this mod
was going to try a sav2 but why bother ? this is a easy mod & a great design
try at your own risk & for Gods sake test it before using it... the only real saftey on any gun is the human holding it,
all things mechanical can & do fail
dont point it at any thing you dont want a hole in
& keep your finger off the trigger when you aint on a target

1jonzmith
05-11-2012, 10:20 PM
on my savages w accutrigger , after honing sear engagment surfaces - I put original rear spring in a drawer,
moved blade spring to rear position (requires bending - forming tip up for hole in reciever),
used a ink pen spring for the blade postion & all have been around 1 lb & work great,
all have passed a drop-bump slap test -every time
I own Jewell , huber & other triggers & Im shocked at how this factory trigger works with a little polishing & this mod
was going to try a sav2 but why bother ? this is a easy mod & a great design
try at your own risk & for Gods sake test it before using it... the only real saftey on any gun is the human holding it,
all things mechanical can & do fail
dont point it at any thing you dont want a hole in
& keep your finger off the trigger when you aint on a target

Great post.

Thjank you

hawkeye10
05-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks guy's! I got my trigger back. Where the small part of the spring goes into the threaded hole I ground off at most a 1/16" with my Dremel tool. That lets the spring relax a little and gives you a lighter trigger. The nice thing about this is you don't have to cut the spring and you still have your adjustment. Don

PS I only use this gun for shooting off the bench. When we go down range the bolt comes out of the gun.