PDA

View Full Version : Savage LRPV Barrel swap

Kdish
05-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I am new to the forum but have subscribed. I want to replace my Mod 12 LRPV barrel in 223. The current barrel is a 1 in 7 twist with more than 4k rounds through it. From reading on here, I have decided to go with a Criterion barrel from Jim Briggs. I want to keep the 1 in 7 twist and go with the stainless bull barrel at 26". My question is what if anything do I need to change out this barrel besides a barrel nut wrench, barrel vice, action wrench, and set of go - nogo gauges? As this is my first barrel swap, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

pdog06
05-06-2012, 09:26 AM
you dont really need both the action wrench AND barrel vice, just one or the other will do. Then a nut wrench and gauges and you will be good to go.

OR

Let us know where you are located. There could be somebody somewhat local to you with the tools and could help you out so you can save the tool money and spend it on ammo.

Corprin
05-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Since you are already picking the barrel up from Jim, buy his barrel wrench as well. Pdog is right, you will only need the action wrench OR barrel vise.. and I would suggest the action wrench, as there is less of a chance of slippage. I had great luck from the wheeler action wrench (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/710783/wheeler-engineering-action-wrench-2-remington-700-savage-110). I drilled a hole through my work surface to drop that massive handle into so I only have to hold one tool, keeping my hand on the nut wrench to prevent any slip, which won't happen if you are doing things right. I started out with vise blocks and was breaking them and spinning the barrel in the vise, ruining the finish, and still couldn't get the nut to pop loose. The Wheeler corrected that quickly. My first nut removal (early blued 111fp) took some serious torque to get the factory nut to budge. Ended up needing to attach my 1/2" breaker bar to the nut wrench and laying on the thing and bouncing. Once I cracked her loose the first time, I just gave my nut wrench a thump with my torque-calibrated-palm to set the nut, requiring a similar thump to pop it loose.

your shopping list is complete, barrel, nut wrench, action wrench, go/nogo gauges, and some time.

Caution, may be habit forming.

Kdish
05-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys for the help. I'll be ordering the action wrench and get the other stuff from Jim. Again, thanks.

jhelmuth
05-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Having ordered (and still waiting) for a Criterion from Jim in .223, I say this from experience...

[1] Jim will advise against the 1:7" twist. I won't quote him as I may get it wrong, but the essence of his advice to me was to go with an 8" twist (more at my insistence that I NOT go with a 9" twist) and shoot the shorter 69gr bullets first. Once you verify the barrel is a good one, then attempt to shoot the 77gr bullets (and - according to Jim - the 80grs will NOT work). If necessary, I will have to have my smith work on the chamber (re-cut) to take the 77-80 gr bullets. Jim advised that the Criterion factory chambering may/may not work on the longer 77gr and WILL NOT work on the 80's. You would have to get your local smith to re-cut the chamber to accept the longer pills. Again... you can talk with him to get your own underrstanding direct from Jim.

[2] Be prepared to wait. I ordered mine back in early Feb (the 5th I believe). Jim is hoping that my barrel will come in on the next shipment from Criterion (about mid May). So just be prepared if you decide against an in-stock barrel. (I ordered an 8" twist)

Good Luck...

northlander
05-07-2012, 07:35 PM
I do need to correct one or two points here:
1. Criterion 8 Twist barrels will work just fine with the 80 gr. bullets. The 9 Twist is the one that does not work well with the 80 gr. bullets.
2. The standard 223 chambering is too short for the 77 or 80 Gr. bullets. The 223 Wylde chambering (also available) is the way to go unless you can have the chamber custom throated.

Jim Briggs
NSS

jhelmuth
05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Jim...

Thank you for clearing that up (I knew I'd screw it up ::))
[ Note: I was specifically asking Jim to order the .223 chamber and NOT the .223 Wylde - which may account for how I screwed this up)

Hope Criterion gets that barrel soon. The stock .223 1:9" shot really well, but I'm looking for the CBI barrel to be even better (especially with the 77gr and maybe the 80gr? - I hope that will work)...

PS - I hope no one misunderstood my prior post and think I was in any way saying anything negative about Jim. I highly recommend him and any frustration I have is with Criterion. Jim has saved me valuable time and money with his advise and I strongly recommend you listen to his advice. I'm happy to wait for the end result!

All the best,

Jim