PDA

View Full Version : Axis bolt disassembly question - Pictures and butt pad removal added

BruceH
05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I have a few Savage 110's and I am familiar with the bolt disasembly procedure for them. I just bough a NIB Axis 30-06 today and took the bolt out and the action out of the stock to inspect and oil. I like to dsassemble a new to me bolt to check for issues and to properly oil it. I noted that the bolt cover does not have a typical Savage screw or allen head type screw to remove the spring etc. It looks like it takes a special tool for removal. I know I can decock it and try to figuire it out, but thought it best to ask here first.

Here are two pictures of the bolt head. As you can see - no type of regular or allen head type screw. Any ideas on how to disassemble?

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/BruceHHH/AxisBolt.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/BruceHHH/AxisBoltHead.jpg

BruceH
05-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Still have not figuired it out. I know I am going to feel dumb when someone responds with the answer, but I want to get it right. Also, while we are at it, how is the butt pad removed? No screws, so I assume it must be glued on?

Just a note of interest, the barrel was free floated as others have reported, but just barely. Just a small amount of pressure would cause the fore end to contact the barrel. I solved that by sanding out the stocks barrel channel from the front end to about the location of the barrel nut. For the front two thirds of the barrel channel, I used a piece of schedule 40 1/2" PVC pipe. With a wrap of good sand paper, it was just the right size. For the rear most portion of the barrel channel, I used a piece of schedule 40 3/4" pipe. Again, it was just the right size.

82boy
05-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Decock the bolt

BruceH
05-06-2012, 07:27 PM
OK, now I feel really dumb. I decocked it again and finally held the bolt cover under a light and saw what looked like a large allen head socket. Sure enough, it was, just well recessed and hidden. Just the same as other Savages. Thanks.

handsomerob
05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
For the bolt- I don't know

For the Recoil/Butt pad - the rear sling stud is whats holding it in. The pad is glued to a piece that fits into the stock and the stud screws into that. If you unscrew the rear sling stud it should slide out.

BruceH
05-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Rob,

82boy had it right on the bolt head. The allen head socket is just recessed and well hidden. You can't see it until it is decocked and even then I had to use a light source to look inside to see it.

I have the rear sling stud out as I am painting the stock. I will try a little harder to remove the pad. Thanks.

thomae
05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Buttpad removal: also, on the top of the stock is a small square that you have to push down on carefully (after removing the rear sling swivel stud, or course). It is a plastic spring "latch" of sorts that is attached to the buttstock and allows you to remove it. Be VERY careful, for if you break that plastic spring, you are out of luck.

BruceH
05-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Thomae,

Yep, found the little square latch and figuired that one out. Did not break it either. Thanks.

Maybe this thread will help someone in the future.

savage2014
12-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Buttpad removal: also, on the top of the stock is a small square that you have to push down on carefully (after removing the rear sling swivel stud, or course). It is a plastic spring "latch" of sorts that is attached to the buttstock and allows you to remove it. Be VERY careful, for if you break that plastic spring, you are out of luck.

I know this is an old thread, but I just tried removing the buttpad, and the thing you have to push down just snapped...:mad:

DrThunder88
12-24-2014, 04:40 AM
Yep. That'll happen, unfortunately.

CarolinaShooter
12-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Super glue for you!

savage2014
12-24-2014, 06:47 PM
I tried superglue which did not help. I called Savage this morning to ask if they would replace the butt stock, and they just took the serial number of the rifle and they are sending me one, FOC... now that's great customer service...

Willoughby
12-27-2014, 06:09 PM
I cant see the pictures

StevenM
01-02-2015, 10:06 AM
The same tab snapped on my Edge .308, exactly as you described.

Steven