PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Burris tactical rings and bases

Pages : [1] 2

AROKHUNTER
05-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I want to put the Burris tactical rings on a Savage model 16 with the Accutrigger (round rear). I have not used this set-up with these types of rings before, so my question is do I need low, medium, or high, rings to mount a scope with a 40mm-42mm objective? I also need to know which bases that I will need to mount these rings too? I will be using the gun for hunting. I have always used the Leupold STD and Burris Signature "twist-in" style rings, so this is new to me. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

geargrinder
05-04-2012, 04:30 PM
The height you need depends on the bases you use. If you prefer a two piece base I'd suggest the Burris Xtreme bases. Multi-slot and steel. Good price too.

One piece base, most people go with EGW. I'd also look at the new Weaver Tactical rail. It's a little lower than the EGW.

I'm willing to bet you'd be able to get away with Lows with any of those bases.

quickkillaught6
05-04-2012, 05:02 PM
+1 grinder lows on egw will surfice up to a 44mm obj with caps that I know of

geargrinder
05-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I've run the lows with EGW and a 50mm, but I wouldn't be sure with a 42mm with AO.

The EGW's are pretty high. The EGW HD's, Weaver Tacticals, and Burris Xtremes are pretty low, but I think they will still work with low rings up to a pretty big objective.

AROKHUNTER
05-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I forgot to mention that the scopes will be the 40mm-42mm objective with AO and have the Butler Flip Caps. So will the low rings still work? Thanks.

jhelmuth
05-04-2012, 06:24 PM
If this is with a 30mm tube scope, XTR lows will probably be fine, but mediums will give you a bit more clearance and possibly a more appropriate cheek-weld (ask me how I know). I ended up using Medium XTRs with the XTR bases and the SWFA SS 3-9x 42mm (30mm tube) scope (the $600 model - not the cheapie $300 one).

For a 1" tube scope, you have to go medium.

Have you considered Talley Lightweight one-piece ring+base? I've found these to be at least as good (if not better). Try this... take ANY pair of XTR rings, and check out the center alignment when the ring mounting nuts are opposed to teach other when mounted - see how the rings are not concentric. Now try that with the Talleys - perfect. The Talleys are tough too! (don't let the name fool you). Most people who've actually tried the Talleys would not go back. Their only down fall is that they can't be mounted as anything other than 0 MOA (IE - not able to mount on a 20 MOA rail - or any rail for that matter).

PM me if you want to try the Talley...

jhelmuth
05-04-2012, 06:24 PM
I forgot to mention that the scopes will be the 40mm-42mm objective with AO and have the Butler Flip Caps. So will the low rings still work? Thanks.

NO - they will not.

hafejd30
05-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Lows on a weaver 1piece extended multi slot picatinny style 20 MOA base. Had plenty of clearance with a leupold mark 2 (now markAR) 6-18 x 40 with AO and butler creek scope caps. This is on a heavy barreled 10 fcp.

1" tube

jhelmuth
05-04-2012, 06:38 PM
If using a 1 piece rail, you can probably step down the ring size (as 1 piece rail base will be significantly higher than most 2 piece weaver/picatiny bases)

AROKHUNTER
05-04-2012, 06:50 PM
These will be holding a scope with 1" tube and I do not know which rail to get, so throw some ideas my way on combinations such as the XTR low rings with a specific base or the XTR medium rings with a different base. The barrel is a varimint contour heavy barrel. Thanks.

jhelmuth
05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
So let's assume that you have plenty of elevation and windage adjustment - no need of a single rail other than IF you feel it will help with any alignment issues you "might" have (there is always some level of alignemnt issue, but a single rail is not always the solution).

So...

[1] Burris Xtreme bases (for you Savage - find part number)
[2] Burris XTR 1" rings - Medium

Be sure to lap the rings before final scope installation.

Also... try the "test" I suggested in my earlier post (you are going to be shocked - and possibly somewhat concerned).

AROKHUNTER
05-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Okay, so let's say that I go with the Talley rings. I have had an interest in them for a while anyway. What height would I need in the Talleys? Low, medium, or high? I am just as lost with the Talley rings as I am with the Burris XTR. Again, the scope would be a 1" tube with 40mm-42mm objective with AO and Butler Flip Caps on a model 16 with varmint contour heavy barrel.

jhelmuth
05-04-2012, 09:03 PM
You'd need the Talley Medium 1" rings. Here is how I arrived at that...

42mm objective = ~ 1.97" OD bell (= 0.985" radius). Subtract 1/2" for the tube = min. req clearance of 0.485" add 0.13" for the barrel drop (0.355") and subtract 0.10"for the Buttler cap.

So that is 0.455". 0.5" will leave you with approx a 0.045" gap (estimated minimum gap)

AROKHUNTER
05-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for that jhelmuth. I may go that route. Don't know yet, but you got me thinking.

jhelmuth
05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Like I said.... just even "borrow" a setof XTR rings and do the test. They will NOT be concentric.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a Burris fan (ALL their bases and their Signature rings). I also LOVE my Talleys. I'd take either of these on any rifle I have.

shovelheadave
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
In my limted experience......

I set up up a 12VLP with a 0moa Farrell base XTR Med bases and 50mm scope.

I found it a little bit high, I switched to a set of XTR Low rings and now it's perfect.

barrel-nut
05-09-2012, 12:18 AM
I'd go with an EGW rail, 0 MOA if you shoot 400 yds max, or 20 MOA if you need extra elevation for dialing up elevation for longer ranges (500+ yds)

Burris Xtreme 1" LOW rings will accommodate your 42mm when mounted on either of these rails. I have three sets of these and have been happy with them all. No ring marks on the scopes, no need to lap them, and no slippage. Built very sturdily.

quickkillaught6
05-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Jhelmuth I too have found that with xtr's the nuts better be on one side together I actually had one scope that was 5-6" off center turned the rings around so that both nuts were on the other side no problems zeroed fine with 3-4clicks

jhelmuth
05-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Jhelmuth I too have found that with xtr's the nuts better be on one side together I actually had one scope that was 5-6" off center turned the rings around so that both nuts were on the other side no problems zeroed fine with 3-4clicks

Correctamundo....

I don't like the fact that these will NEVER sit over the center of the barrels vertical plane. That translates to having to not only adjustig elevation on longer shots, but you'll have to slightly fiddle with the windage too. Why Burris - a great company BTW - had this design flaw in these I'll never know. When I found out (I had 2 sets of these) I called them and theytold me that was not supposed to be and they promptly sent me out a replacement set. Even those were off - which you think they would have checked.

I still use Burris (and Talley) today. But I stay away from the XTR rings...

All the best,

jim

geargrinder
05-18-2012, 09:39 PM

The nuts need to go on the left side of the action for the lugs to seat properly against the rail.