PDA

View Full Version : 7mm mag

druid w/stick
12-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Are there any problems specific to this cal. ? This is a belted round, right or wrong? Seems (could be very wrong) that I read that some do'nt like this feature. Somebdy set me straight. Hunting purposes only.

EFBell
12-03-2009, 09:44 PM
If you are referring to the Remington 7MM Magnum it is a belted round. Don't believe everything you hear. There is nothing wrong with a belted magnum. Some reloaders have issues with them. I don't see the belt to be a big deal for a hunting rifle. I have one and it rarely gets used but only because it is too pretty to beat up.

Yes, it is a safe queen and no it's not a savage or a remington or even a winchester.

Fjold
12-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I have one also, it's no harder or more difficult to load for than any other belted magnum. Like Ed's, mine seems to be used less than my other guns. For the payload that it delivers other guns just do a better job. If I need a small magnum, a 300 works better if I really need more power my 375 H&H handles it. If I need a long range round I shoot my 6.5x284 or my 308.

demented
12-03-2009, 11:03 PM
I think the 7mm R-mag is one of the most overrated cartridges. I have one, use it every deer season but have no illusions as to its actual vs advertised performance level.

dcloco
12-03-2009, 11:22 PM
I bought a VERY nice Savage BVSS 7 Rem Mag. Bought it to use the action to build another caliber with, but, I made the mistake and shot it. VERY accurate rifle.

So, I traded it off, bought an old 110, bought a used varmint weight barrel & wood stock off of this site, and built the rifle. Retumbo will be your new friend if you reload. I used 162 gr AMax at a near max load. This round shoots rather well to 1200 yards.

hunter2
12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
The belts will not cause any trouble in reloading or chambering a round. They originally came out as sort of a marketing ploy. Extra belt for safety, easier to head space off of (not good to do this), etc. My experience is they will cycle through firearms as easy as a 308 or any other smooth case. And 162 A-MAX with Retumbo are a good mix...1/2 moa out to 800 yds so far.

efm77
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
It was a common misconception that the belt meant more strength around the web of the case. It may or may not be true but the companies ran with it as a marketing ploy. The real reason for the belt was to headspace the cartrige because the original belted cartridges had so much body taper that they didn't have enough of a shoulder to headspace off of. The belted case was basically used to make other cartridges with because of it's availability at the time and it's greater case capacity over standard cartridges. People just associated the belt with magnum and thought it meant more strength.

nova1194
12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I have not tried Retumbo yet, although I do have some test rounds loaded up, I have had good luck with IMR 7828, my 116 likes 66grs with a 160 Nosler partion, but I recently picked up some 160 accubonds and 160 game kings to try also.

Mike

wbm
12-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I think the 7mm R-mag is one of the most overrated cartridges. I have one, use it every deer season but have no illusions as to its actual vs advertised performance level.

I have two and have no illusions either. Mine can push a 162g bullet with a BC of .625 at 3000fps with no pressure signs. That results in a velocity of 1600fps at 1000 yards! The energy level is still above 1800ft.lbs. at 500 yards. Set at 3.5" high at 100 is dead on at 300 and 9.5" low at 400. I'll take "overrated"! ;D

demented
12-12-2009, 04:57 AM
Are you staying within recommended max loads as listed in reloading manuals? I haven't found any printed info that will show this as being safe....wish I could! Sixty five grains of H4831 will only hit 2900 from my 26" barrel. What powder you usin?

wbm
12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Are you staying within recommended max loads as listed in reloading manuals? I haven't found any printed info that will show this as being safe....wish I could! Sixty five grains of H4831 will only hit 2900 from my 26" barrel. What powder you usin?

Sent you a PM with some stuff you might be interested in.

I use R-17 and R-22 and Hornady 162g A-Max bullets. My most accurate loads with either of those powders and that bullet are running between 2700 and 2900fps.

JCalhoun
12-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Druid;

Do you already own it or thinking of buying it?

If you already own it then you have nothing to be afraid of. They shoot good enough to kill 90% of North American game animals if the hunter makes a clean shot. They can be handloaded with a set of good full length sizing dies and sensible powder charge. The belt won't help or hurt you.

If you are considering buying one, I would recommend something else. Unless you need to shoot from one hillside to another, the extra velocity isn't worth the extra recoil. It's hard to beat .30-06, .308, .270 or even .260 for most any game.

druid w/stick
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Druid;

Do you already own it or thinking of buying it?

If you already own it then you have nothing to be afraid of. They shoot good enough to kill 90% of North American game animals if the hunter makes a clean shot. They can be handloaded with a set of good full length sizing dies and sensible powder charge. The belt won't help or hurt you.

If you are considering buying one, I would recommend something else. Unless you need to shoot from one hillside to another, the extra velocity isn't worth the extra recoil. It's hard to beat .30-06, .308, .270 or even .260 for most any game.

I do'nt have one as yet. Gander has a used 110 pre-accutrigger for $329. I've got a22-250,243 260 and a 308. Probably do'nt really "need" this. Been watching what they are doing with the berger bullets on The Best of The West show. Doubt whether I'll ever get to go out west to use it , but being a former scout, always be prepared. These in-expensive rifles really can get ahold of a guy.

JCalhoun
12-16-2009, 06:41 PM
You can buy a brand new Stevens 200 for the same money.