PDA

View Full Version : Barrel nut wrench in stock anywhere?

CL1KKL4C
05-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Title says it all. I cant seem to find one anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Arthur

emn83
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7388/Product/SAVAGE-BARREL-NUT-WRENCH

There ya go

thomae
05-04-2012, 10:49 AM
According to one of his posts, I believe that Jim at Northland Shooters Supply (See banner ad above) has them for 25.00

JackinSD
05-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Tried Jim at NSS?

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/board,64.0.html

northlander
05-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes, we do have them in stock. We have not been out of stock at all. If you need one we do have them - 763/682-4296.

Jim Briggs
NSS

CL1KKL4C
05-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

I can't believe forgot NSS. When I ordered my action a couple weeks ago Jim even asked "Do you need a barrel nut wrench?" JEEEZZZ... It's been one of those weeks.

Anyways.. Jim, I'll be giving you a call monday for a wrench and another recoil lug.

Thanks again everyone.

-Arthur

mattri
05-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Don't know how often you plan to swap barrels but I have you can borrow if you like.

CL1KKL4C
05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
thanks for the offer but i gave Jim at NSS a call and he got me squared away. The current battle seems to be gettong the damn nut off. The barrel just spins in the blocks. I'm currently on the.hunt for some rosin powder then hopefully I can.knock.that bugger off there.

-Arthur

thomae
05-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Arthur,
I had that same problem. I used duct tape between the barrel and the barrel vise blocks and even after letting it sit with Kroil on it for a while, it still turned when I slowly applied force to the barrel nut wrench. However, when I used an impact force (hit the barrel nut wrench with a deadblow hammer) it came right off. You could also heat up the nut, helping it to expand a little so it might come off easier.

Let us know if it works.

jeffreyC
05-29-2012, 12:20 PM
That is probably why Jim at NSS recommended an action wrench instead of a barrel vise to me.

thomae
05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
That is probably why Jim at NSS recommended an action wrench instead of a barrel vise to me.

Jeffrey: I doubt it. Jim didn't ask me about my difficulties before making his recommendation to you. ;D

Sometimes things don't work out the way one hopes. I used my action wrench and barrel nut wrench to remove the barrel and nut from the action. Using those tools, it came off easily. However, the nut would not unscrew from the barrel easily. As I posted, I used my barrel vise and barrel nut wrench to remove the nut from the barrel without damaging either. It certainly helped me in that particular situation to have all the right tools for the job.

earl39
05-29-2012, 05:06 PM
I have found a 15 inch or larger cresent wrench and a good leather glove work wonders. After a good soak in Kroil wrap the glove around the action and recoil lug then adjust the cresent as tight as you can with the lug down in the jaws. The glove is to protect the action. The pin or indent on factory lugs helps hold everything while you hit the barrel nut wrench with a dead blow. If you don't mind putting a flat spot on the other end of your barrel nut wrench you can use a regular hammer. I use a good claw hammer. To put it on i just hold the action in my hand and hit the nut wrench 2 or 3 times with said hammer. Haven't had a nut come loose yet.