PDA

View Full Version : bipod question

51smd
05-04-2012, 07:18 AM
I just put a new bipod on my 110 wood stock and my scope cross hairs appear to by canted now. Tried it with another longer bipod same thing. Check scope with levels in gun vice scope checks. I'm thinking it is an issue with the front sling swivel ?

seanhagerty
05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Check the scope with a plumb bob tied downrange about 50-100yds. The vertical cross hair should track level with that string when your scope/rifle is level.

rjtfroggy
05-04-2012, 09:33 AM
From what you say it seems to me that you need the adapter for the bipod, so that it mounts flush.

put n the dog on
05-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Try to cant one of the legs forward a bit. I had the same problem last season. this works. I been meaning to shorten one of the legs haven't gotten around to it.

tobnpr
05-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Could be anything...
But if you leveled the receiver,then leveled the scope on it, it ain't your scope installation.

I would remove the bipod from the rifle, stand it on a level surface, and place a short level (whatever you used to level the action and the scope) across it. Perhaps the mounting surface of the bipod isn't true, or the legs are outta whack.

ecarey
05-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Could be the sling stud is not instaled entierly plumb and causing the bipod to cant

seanhagerty
05-05-2012, 02:15 AM
I had the same thing going on, I found it to be an optical illusion. That was why I recommended the plumb bob.

fgw_in_fla
05-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Every rifle I own, the scope looks canted when rested on the bipod. They never mount up to where they're level, plumb & square.
I just raise one of the legs about half a snootch or so....

I 'spose if you buy one of those high dollar bipods they may set up level.... ???

stangfish
05-05-2012, 05:28 PM
you can always shim one side of the bipod where it makes contact with the stock.

gotcha
05-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Could also be an issue of surface you're resting bi-pod on. In my neck of the woods its almost impossible to find a level shooting bench. One solution might be a bubble level on your scope & front rest that allows you to cant the rifle. +1 on Stangs idea of shimming bi-pod mount surface this could compensate for mounting stud being out of true and irregularities in shape of fore-end.

Hooker
05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
If it is a Harris bipod, it has a brass piece where it attaches. You can mount it slightly off center in that area.