PDA

View Full Version : 110 Nut & Bolt Question

hnts4fun
05-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Newbie here! I just received my first savage; a used, wooden stock, blind magazine, .270. I like it and I think it will be a good base upon which to build. I've already ordered a Criterion barrel from Jim in 260 Remington and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row. I've never owned a Savage bolt action rifle before.

First, an easy question... the barrel has sights on it. Will my barrel nut come off the breach end of the barrel or should I order a new barrel nut? If I need a new one is there one out there I should consider over the others?

Next, a more challenging question because I don't have pictures of what I'm asking about. My rifle came in a hard case with the bolt removed. There was also a small blue metal piece that appeared to be part of the bolt; but it was floating around loose in the case. When I try to insert the bolt into the action it will not go in any further than a quarter inch or so into the rear bridge/receiver. I don't have full use of my hands so I've asked another buddy who is also a newbie Savage owner to come over when he has time to look at my rifle. I'd like to have some information to pass on to him if possible. If this question is too vague without pictures I will work to get some up soon.

I can already see where this is going to become a fun but addicting pastime. I'm already tearing up online classifieds from coast-to-coast looking for the next good deal :)

Thanks all!

nuclabuyer
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
First, the nut will come off over the chamber end and second question, push the lever down on the side and pull the trigger at the same time and then push the bolt in. And we call tell you what the pieces are if you can post a pic.

hnts4fun
05-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Thank you!

Will not need a new nut. Check.

Slow and gentle approach to installing the bolt. Check

Pictures. Check

I appreciate your response!

Matt

hnts4fun
05-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I did some reading and I believe the loose piece is the rear bolt baffle, although I can't confirm that at the moment. I came across an informative article with great pictures that some might find helpful.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/Disassembly-and-Reassembly-Savage-Model-10-Bolt.html

I still dont understand how this piece could just fall off; but maybe I will after playing with it later.

JackinSD
05-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Thank you!

Will not need a new nut. Check.

Slow and gentle approach to installing the bolt. Check

Pictures. Check

I appreciate your response!

Matt

You may need a new nut. I would get ahold of Jim and go over it with him.

I had to have a new nut with my last Criterion barrel. My "older" barrel nut would not attach to a "newer" barrel.

hnts4fun
05-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks, I'll give Jim a call.