PDA

View Full Version : Which mouth call for coyotes?

AROKHUNTER
05-02-2012, 11:21 PM
A friend and myself are in the process of getting prepared to hunt some coyotes. We are learning about the whole process and about which equipment to use. I will eventually come up with an e-call, but I want to use some hand/mouth calls for now. So my question is, which mouth calls are a must to have and tend to be favorites for the coyotes? If there are certain brands/types that are better than others, then that info would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any advice and help!

dmpowder
05-03-2012, 12:14 PM
LOL coyotes don't have favorite calls! No such thing as a must have call either. The best advice is to get you a open reed call. Pick one in your price range and get to calling. Stick with distress sounds as you really can't mess them up and work on your howling at home or in your car not on stands. Primos are nice calls for starters because they come with DVD's you can watch. Closed reed calls tend to stick or freeze up when it gets cold out but are easier to use. I myself prefer the custom hand made calls.

Best advice when calling coyotes is to sit still! Since your just starting out watch your wind and watch your down wind side as coyotes usually try to circle down wind. If you know of anyone that lives close to you that calls see if you and your buddy can go once or twice with them. Take notes of every stand you make. Which way did the coyote come from, how did the coyote bust you! While calling is not hard to do it's also not as easy as sitting waiting for a deer to come walking by either. Go out and have fun and enjoy the time out is the most important thing and know that you will go through dry stands and you will not get a coyote everytime you go out.

Also just remember that if you buy a $700 ecaller does not mean you will kill more coyotes!

Check out http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php and read, read, read, and then ask questions. Tons of skilled callers on that site with lots of tips.

AROKHUNTER
05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I appreciate the info and I appreciate the LOL. I guess I worded that part wrong about "favorites for coyotes". What I meant was, are there favorite, or preferred, calls to use for calling coyotes? My bad.
The bad thing, but good too, about the area I live in is that nobody around here does any actual predator calling/hunting. So getting together with someone here is pretty much out of the question. That should help though as far as the pressure on the coyotes, I think. Most, if not all of the strategy and method that my buddy and I apply will be learned from forums.

87predator
05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
LOL coyotes don't have favorite calls! No such thing as a must have call either. The best advice is to get you a open reed call. Pick one in your price range and get to calling. Stick with distress sounds as you really can't mess them up and work on your howling at home or in your car not on stands. Primos are nice calls for starters because they come with DVD's you can watch. Closed reed calls tend to stick or freeze up when it gets cold out but are easier to use. I myself prefer the custom hand made calls.

Best advice when calling coyotes is to sit still! Since your just starting out watch your wind and watch your down wind side as coyotes usually try to circle down wind. If you know of anyone that lives close to you that calls see if you and your buddy can go once or twice with them. Take notes of every stand you make. Which way did the coyote come from, how did the coyote bust you! While calling is not hard to do it's also not as easy as sitting waiting for a deer to come walking by either. Go out and have fun and enjoy the time out is the most important thing and know that you will go through dry stands and you will not get a coyote everytime you go out.

Also just remember that if you buy a $700 ecaller does not mean you will kill more coyotes!

Check out http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php and read, read, read, and then ask questions. Tons of skilled callers on that site with lots of tips.

+1
I will add, just find one your comfortable with and keep practicing. I have bought several, both howlers and distress but trend to use the same two our three. If I have no luck,I try a different one for different tone/pitch. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Practice , practice, practice!

skypilot
05-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I use a Dan Thompson(RIP Dan) Red Desert Howler, open reed. Pretty much any coyote sound can be made along with a distressed rabbit etc. My other call is a howler only and is a E.L.K. Howler.

The most important thing is to hunt where they are. Not where farmer Jones heard them or thought he saw them. Cameras don't lie nor does scat.

The wind is your best friend. set up where the yote can't get in a position to smell you without giving you a good shot a him.

I don't like to call too much, a little goes a long way. Too much and too frequent calling only calls in farmers on 4 wheelers, neighbors etc.

Learn to shoot well. The second time you shoot he will be in warp drive, the third time he will have exceeded ridiculous speed. ;D

5spd
05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
The entire Verminator line will get you dogs, runs about 9-15 bucks each at the sportsman warehouse....they have all kinds also.

drybean
05-03-2012, 08:00 PM
i am sure i will get flamed for this but a dogs
squeekie toy works great

drybean

87predator
05-03-2012, 08:52 PM
i am sure i will get flamed for this but a dogs
squeekie toy works great

drybean

Not from me...use one taped to gun for coaxing in. :)

put n the dog on
05-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree I will only use custom calls now. I've bought plenty of mass produced calls over the years. Only to be disappointed with the sound. There are plenty of quality makers out there. And a bennefit of them is most will guarentee their calls for life. I know you won't find many if any store bought manufactures that will do this. Even if you plan to use an e-caller it is a great addition to use mouth calls along with it on your stand. Plus custom made calls are a lot cooler looking.

29va
05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Hard to beat TC custom diaphrams!!