PDA

View Full Version : mircofit and vblock questions

tyler.woodard04
05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
who as used a microfit stock? looking at the BR model and installing a whidden v block. good stocks? looks like with the two together I could have a very nice stock for little money

Nor Cal Mikie
05-02-2012, 11:33 PM
4 of my own so far and another on the way. (and a few others for shooting buddies and even sold a couple more)
Whiden V Block in the last one and just got another V Block in the mail for an SP rear grip build in .204 Ruger.
The Whiden V Block makes all the difference in the world. No worries about the crappy inlet that you may get in the Micro Fit stocks.
Know ahead of time that you'll have to do some work to get their stocks ready to finish and they're a good deal with a good selections of designs.
Long wait times to get one but that's expected. IMHO, Well worth the wait. ;D

tyler.woodard04
05-03-2012, 08:20 AM
thank you for the info. im still looking at other options also but keep going back to that stock and block combo

nsaqam
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I've ordered two stocks from Richard's Chainsawn Stocks.

One worked out well after a TON on work.
The other had a mag well (blind mag) so grossly oversized that the stock simply would not work without a massive perch belly.

I'd never even consider another one, nor would I recommend them to others.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Some of their "earlier" stocks came with the "chainsaw" (or dull ax) treatment but not bad enough that they couldn't be useable. Just know ahead of time that they may not be a drop in. :(
If they have the basic shape your after, you're half way there. ;)

nsaqam
05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
There are so many people with precise stock duplicators and patterns for same that going with Richard's in not in the cards for me again.

SMK Shoe
05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I received my second one a couple months ago. I had forgotten how much work to finish one of his was. Finally had to decide to duracoat it, So many machine marks everywhere that once completely sanded out the stock wouldn't fit a ruger 10/22. Love the design and price, but the outer finish is awful. I expect work on the inside, but a smooth surface on the outside looks like a chainsaw went to work. Won't order again.

nuclabuyer
05-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I just bought a stock duplicator. Waiting for the router and I will have to make me an A-5 style stock. Cant wait to try it.

nsaqam
05-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Nucla, bet you do a better job your first try than Richards does!

nuclabuyer
05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
I would say I couldnt do any worse. I have bought 2 of those stocks and broke both of them. The wood is, I guessing birch??, and it is super soft. I know that birch isn't super soft but whatever they do to it makes it soft.

cgeorgemo
05-18-2012, 02:44 AM
I think I described the one I have now as being shaped by a crack addled beaver with crooked teeth when I first received it. I was able to rasp, file, and sand it to my liking.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/cgeorgemo/Stevens%20Project/100_0994.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/cgeorgemo/Stevens%20Project/100_0993.jpg

nsaqam
05-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Turned out very nice Brian.

Especially since you started out with a blank cut by a crack addled beaver with crooked teeth! ;D

outlawsix
05-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I just bought a stock duplicator. Waiting for the router and I will have to make me an A-5 style stock. Cant wait to try it.

So after you try it out...any plans on offering some to those of us without our own duplicator ? :)

nuclabuyer
05-18-2012, 04:06 PM
I would be willing to do something like that. What I am really wanting to do is get an accuracy international stock and copy the aluminum frame work and see if I could get it to work for a savage. I just need to sell a gun to afford a aics stock. Anyone need a 22-243 with a shilen barrel and a McMillan A-5?
The other this I bought it for is you can buy flat top mcmillans for $250. an adjustable graco butt plate is 50 and you are ready to go for 300 instead of 550 or 600.

outlawsix
05-18-2012, 05:10 PM
I have rad about some company offering an ACIS type set up for the Savage. Not sure it would help you but i have a set of skins for a 2.0 if you wanted to give reverse engineering a try?

nuclabuyer
05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
The company was Alberta Tactical and they got threatened by AI to shut the savage version down. AI said in 2010 that they were making one. The article is on snipershide and everyone on the forum told Tom, a rep for AI, that they were full of it. I would be interested in the skins. How much, send me a PM so we dont hijack the thread any more then we already did.

Sorry everyone.

Aggie04
05-23-2012, 10:54 AM
I think I described the one I have now as being shaped by a crack addled beaver with crooked teeth when I first received it. I was able to rasp, file, and sand it to my liking.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/cgeorgemo/Stevens%20Project/100_0994.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/cgeorgemo/Stevens%20Project/100_0993.jpg

What model stock is that? Looks good!

I ordered a Marksman style stock from Richards. It wasn't even close to 98% press in fit but I got it worked out. I've been working on it on and off for the past 3 years (if I had all the tools an the time it would of only been a several week job). I'm installing pillars and bedding it this weekend so it will finally be done. I wouldn't hesitate ordering another one from them. You just have to know what you're getting into.

cgeorgemo
05-23-2012, 12:45 PM
What model stock is that? Looks good!

I'm not positive of the style name. I bought it from Numrich on an eBay auction. It was just listed as a 110 LA Richards Microfit Stock. It has Richards inked into the wood in the action area.
It looks to me most like a Marksman style with a narrow forearm. I did a lot of shaping at the top rear of the grip. I also put a grind to fit brown Limbsaver on it.