PDA

View Full Version : 7mm mag 116 action to 7mmstw?

camoman83
12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
any major changes needed to do this?? This was an add on after to lower replies but if say i wanted to use a 7mm rem mag barrel and ream it out do any of yall know if savage ever made a barrel with a varment contour in 7mm mag that was stainless
Thanks
Matt

efm77
12-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Just a barrel swap but it will be single shot only. I don't think the mag is long enough to hold the stw cartridge. Some folks have made some modifications to the mag box to get them to feed the full length cartridges but I'm not sure how. I think they may have cut out the front and rear of the mag box but I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Blue Avenger
12-03-2009, 09:54 PM
don't even need to swap barrels, just have it reamed with the stw reamer.

Three44s
12-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Can anyone elaborate more on magazine changes/options?

Three 44s

efm77
12-03-2009, 10:30 PM
"don't even need to swap barrels, just have it reamed with the stw reamer."

Good point.

I remember reading about someone on here converting their magazine on a regular magnum 116 action to handle RUM cartridges, but can't remember who it was or exactly how they did it.

geargrinder
12-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Just a barrel swap but it will be single shot only. I don't think the mag is long enough to hold the stw cartridge. Some folks have made some modifications to the mag box to get them to feed the full length cartridges but I'm not sure how. I think they may have cut out the front and rear of the mag box but I'm sure there's more to it than that.

I've done it. I did it to feed a 338 Edge 3.850 OAL. Much more than what's needed for a STW. I started with an old 7mmMag action.

This is what I had to do:
I dremeled out the mag opening on the action so that the rear of the opening was flush with the bolt head. This removes the slot for the rear magazine tab.

I dremeled out the front of the mag opening so that it was flush with the front of the mag well in the stock. This removes the slot for the front magazine tab.

I dremeled off the rear mag tab plus a little more to let the mag sit correctly.

I dremeled out a slot in the front of the mag for the bullets to hang out. I didn't take the slot all the way down.

Now to make the mag stay in the stock. What I did was weld a bottom on the mag to contain the spring. Then I epoxied the whole thing into the bottom of the mag well. I'd like to try it on a centerfeed mag next time.

Took me about 2 hours, but I was figuring it out as I went. Could do it in about an hour next time.

efm77
12-04-2009, 07:30 AM
When you dremeled out the front would that create the possibility of the steel behind the bottom locking lug recess to not be thick enough to be safe? Just curious.

pphreed1
12-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I did pretty much the same thing for my 25 stw except didn't mess with the front of mag much just cut the opening back to the bolt face then cut of the end of the magazine bent a new piece of metal to make a new back end of the mag and weld or solder in place then put a bottom on the mag if needed to hold it at the right hieght and you are good to go or you could order a 300 rum box from savage and have enough room and set it up the same way Fred

geargrinder
12-04-2009, 09:01 PM
When you dremeled out the front would that create the possibility of the steel behind the bottom locking lug recess to not be thick enough to be safe? Just curious.

No, because I didn't go any deeper than the bottom of the slot for the magazine.

camoman83
12-06-2009, 10:53 PM
new question added to the top

geargrinder
12-06-2009, 11:28 PM
any major changes needed to do this?? This was an add on after to lower replies but if say i wanted to use a 7mm rem mag barrel and ream it out do any of yall know if savage ever made a barrel with a varment contour in 7mm mag that was stainless
Thanks
Matt

Yes, in a 26" Stainless fluted varmint.

I've seen two for sale in the last 3-4 years. One bare barrel and one complete rifle. 112 BVSS.

camoman83
12-06-2009, 11:34 PM
well I have not seen any eather thanks
Matt

nwkwtkilr
12-08-2009, 07:57 AM
would a 300winmag box work? without modification.

efm77
12-08-2009, 08:49 AM
No it is the same overall length as the 7mm Rem Mag. The STW is still longer.