PDA

View Full Version : Timney trigger for Savage Axis

Pages : [1] 2

Ray384
05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
I was scouting Brownells today and ran across a new item, a Timney trigger for an Axis.

Axtell3
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I have one, works great. I read that the stock trigger can be improved. But why bother when I have the timney.

dboyers
05-02-2012, 10:44 AM
I just got a Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger for mine and love it. It is a huge improvement over the factory trigger. I did the mods posted here on the factory trigger and was still not happy with the trigger pull and creep. I have it adjusted to just under 3lbs which is heavier than I prefer but my 13 y/o son uses this gun most of the time so I didn't want it too light for him. Either way I don't think you could go wrong with the Rifle Basix or the Timney.

diesel
05-06-2012, 01:46 AM
I just now tonight completed the trigger mod on a new Axis .308. 0 creep, crisp 3 lb. pull. after a lot of trial and error, setteled on a piece of .010 steel feller guage epoxyed to the trigger and 1 1/2 coils cut from trigger spring. VAST improvement over the way it was. originally felt like about 1/ 32 in. of creep and a 6 0r 7 lb. pull. Hey, like "Hunter" use to say "works for me" cost me a feller guage blade. it's a deer rifle, we ain't gonna go to no shootin matches with it. 2 MOA will kill all the deer it's ever pointed at. not going to try to shoot it's eye out.

thermaler
09-05-2012, 08:41 AM
I started to do some home modification of the stock trigger, but felt I was drifting into accidental fire territory the lighter I got the pull. That makes me nervous. I'd say without question get the Timney trigger--it's specifically engineered for adjustability (and reversibility) of all the key components--sear engagement, safety engagement and pull pressure. Changes are easy too, all you have to do is pop the trigger guard off and change whatever you want. I'm no expert though.

Tempest
09-06-2012, 05:28 PM
The Timney is nice! Too bad is costs so much...............

Adjusting it takes longer than actually installing it.

thermaler
09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
The Timney is nice! Too bad is costs so much...............

Adjusting it takes longer than actually installing it.

Agreed--though you can really get it light AND safe--which is why I like it. If you think they're too expensive for a Savage--try buying one for an AR! : )

Tempest
09-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Agreed--though you can really get it light AND safe--which is why I like it. If you think they're too expensive for a Savage--try buying one for an AR! : )

I have ! They have more engineering. The Axis one is just a trigger w/ set screws.

thermaler
09-07-2012, 05:44 AM
I have ! They have more engineering. The Axis one is just a trigger w/ set screws.

You got a good point there--I got a McCormick in my AR15 and JP in my LRT308--both of which are not really easily adjustable like the Axis timney but are still loads better than stock triggers. The Axis timney trigger I think is perfectly engineered for the job at hand--a simple drop in replacement of the stock trigger, though I agree that it might be a bit stiff in price at around $100--but in terms of ammo saved in better accuracy well worth it.

Gmac5
09-17-2012, 02:12 PM
FOR WHAT YOU PAID FOR A TIMNEY , OR ANY AFTERMARKET TRIGGER YOU COULD HAVE INSTALLED AN ACCU TRIGGER. I VE BEEN BUYING PRECISION ACCU TRIGERS FOR 30 to 45 dollars ,AND HAVE A 6 OUNCE & UP FACTORY triger with the BUILT IN SAFETY of its design
HOPE THIS HELPS GARY

thermaler
09-17-2012, 02:31 PM
FOR WHAT YOU PAID FOR A TIMNEY , OR ANY AFTERMARKET TRIGGER YOU COULD HAVE INSTALLED AN ACCU TRIGGER. I VE BEEN BUYING PRECISION ACCU TRIGERS FOR 30 to 45 dollars ,AND HAVE A 6 OUNCE & UP FACTORY triger with the BUILT IN SAFETY of its design
HOPE THIS HELPS GARYDidn't know accutriggers could fit the axis?

Gmac5
09-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Its a simlpe replacement. To fully utilize the less than 1 lb adjustment I grind 1/2 the material off the back of the accutrigger. I prefer grinding the trigger than cutting the spring.
HOPE THIS HELPS,GARY

fla9-40
09-18-2012, 05:06 AM
HOPE THIS HELPS GARY

I was under the impression the AccuTriggers would not fit an Axis, Gary do you have a link to where I could get one?

Gmac5
09-18-2012, 01:47 PM
I have been fortunate enough to purchase them from clients projects,after much discussion ,they insisted on aftermarket ,so i give or reduce the bill by about 20 to 40 dollars.the precision accutrigger is worth more to me.
YOU DONT THINK COMPANIES MAKING AFTER MARKET TRIGGERS ARE GONNA TELL YOU THIS , DO YA ?

Tempest
09-18-2012, 04:24 PM
I have been fortunate enough to purchase them from clients projects,after much discussion ,they insisted on aftermarket ,so i give or reduce the bill by about 20 to 40 dollars.the precision accutrigger is worth more to me.
YOU DONT THINK COMPANIES MAKING AFTER MARKET TRIGGERS ARE GONNA TELL YOU THIS , DO YA ?

Why are you yelling? :)

Gmac5
09-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Because its easier for me to type . I only visit here when i cant be working ( sick )

fla9-40
09-18-2012, 09:37 PM

I thought since you are a fellow Floridian you might hook me up with one! :p

Gmac5
09-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Ever since i started using the axis action and accutriggers all local shooters have picked up on the swap and have made accutriggers a little more rare. I will however keep you on a list
gary

thermaler
09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
OK--short of knowing a custom builder--and not willing to mess with the stock trigger--I got both the Timney and Basix aftermarket triggers.

I've adjusted and installed both (in different rifles) and my overall impression is that the Basix trigger is the better of the two. For one--it has an over-travel screw to stop the trigger dead after break--the Timney does not. My other impression is that you can go lighter on pull and sear adjustment on the basix and not get an accidental break/release as easily as I have so far with the Timney--but maybe I just need to play with it some more. And the basix is cheaper in price. Keep in mind I'm new to these things, so take with healthy dose of salt.

drybean
09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
the RB trigger is the way to go

drybean