PDA

View Full Version : Range results after a T&T job.

psharon97
04-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Hello all:
I recently sent in my Savage model 10flp to SSS to have the action timed and trued. I purchased the rifle about 3 years ago in 223 remington. Since that time I have modified the stock to my lickings installed the SSS competition trigger.

I would have liked to have some before and after groups that I could have shown, but unfortunately, someone threw the original targets away.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/psharon97/P2211497.jpg

I have now received the rifle back after the T&T job. The groups have not tightened up that much; I'd give it maybe 5% accuracy increase. If I was looking for better better accuracy out of my rifle, I would have first purchased an aftermarket barrel. However, I'm very satisfied with the barrel thats on the rifle now. If I burn the barrel out, then I'll get a higher quality barrel than the stock 223 barrel thats on the rifle.

Is it worth Spending the $150+ to have a rifle T&T? That decision is up to the person who wants to pay SSS to have the action T&T and shipping both ways. For me, it was worth it and thats all that matters.

parkj5
04-30-2012, 07:40 PM
I just got my action back from being T&T by SSS... Is it smoother for you?I am stuck at work and will not be home till wendsday to inspect mine...It only took them 30 days to T&T,flute bolt and install comp. trigger on my action.Now if my Brux barrel would get here id be a happy shooter..

tammons
04-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I think the consensus is with a floating bolt head it does not make that much difference
although it makes the action a lot smoother.

You would probably do better putting a Kreiger barrel on it, but when you start chasing fractions of an inch it gets expensive.

Best shooting Savage I had were 2.

One was a off the shelf 223 7 twist that shot 1/4-3/8" with the right load.
Took 200-300 rounds before it ever started shooting right and even then it did not like some bullets.

The other was a SS action, SSS trigger, Midway 6mmBR sheilen barrel, choate unbedded stock, nightforce scope.

That rig with no work would shoot an honest 3/4" group at 300 yards. Basically a 1/4" group.

To go beyond that you are getting into serious benchrest techniques for shooting, weigh your bullets, brass better scale etc.

Remember reading about one top shooter that would go dial in some loads prior to a contest. His loads were sorted by brass weight.
Out of those the brass that shot the tightest he would be set aside and used that brass for the competition.

Another guy used a Juke (sp) machine to look for brass defect inside his casings among other things.

And so on....

snowgetter1
04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
what kind of stock is that????????? Looks like it would be very comfortable.

ellobo
04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Well, it is a left handed rifle and probably has a right hand twist rifleing so it wont shoot tiney groups as a result. ;D

El Lobo

243LPR
04-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Looks like a factory stock with a SAW grip glued on?

psharon97
05-01-2012, 01:20 AM
I just got my action back from being T&T by SSS... Is it smoother for you?I am stuck at work and will not be home till wendsday to inspect mine...It only took them 30 days to T&T,flute bolt and install comp. trigger on my action.Now if my Brux barrel would get here id be a happy shooter..

Mine is much smoother than what it used to be. Worth every penny for the T&T job IMO.

I built this rifle for cheap. 223 is very cheap to shoot; it doesn't use much powder, bullets are very cheap, brass lasts a long time. So I'm not really looking at putting a whole lot of money in this rig.

The stock is one I've modified. I basically glued and bolted on an AR-15 pistol grip. I would apply spray on truck bed liner, sand and apply more truck bed liner to get the stock how I wanted it. The cost to modify a Savage tuppaware stock: $15. This rifle is very comfortable to shoot. ;D

Hersh5317
05-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Any pictures of the process for that grip? I've been thinking of doing the same to one of my tupperware stocks.

Cycler
05-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Well, it is a left handed rifle and probably has a right hand twist rifleing so it wont shoot tiney groups as a result. ;D

El Lobo
Actually quite the opposite should be true. The left handed action compensates for drift caused by the right handed rifling and all bullets go into one ragged hole at all ranges. ::)

Corprin
05-01-2012, 08:44 PM

El Lobo
Actually quite the opposite should be true. The left handed action compensates for drift caused by the right handed rifling and all bullets go into one ragged hole at all ranges. ::)

But this only happens when firing at an azimuth on the northern hemisphere. Those down under will see far better results from a left hand twist.

psharon97
05-02-2012, 12:25 AM
As far as taking pictures of the build process, I never really thought to be honest. My reasoning was, if I screwed up the stock, I would purchase another stock from Savage for probably $25-30 dollars. Never thought it would turn out that good.

As far installing an aftermarket barrel, maybe once I shoot this barrel out. I've got several thousand rounds to go before that happens. I probably have less that 500 rounds down the tube. For a 223, I'd say that's still a brand new barrel lol. If I were to upgrade anything off this rifle in the near future, I would pull the 4-16X56 Millet BuckGold scope off and install a Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 on it.