PDA

View Full Version : baffles

tammons
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Is a long action baffle the same as a short action baffle ??

cgeorgemo
04-30-2012, 09:59 AM
The 2 baffles I'm familiar with are only used to shorten length of throw on the bolt.
So you might use a longer baffle to shorten the throw on a Long-Action bolt when chambering a Short-Action cartridge, or use the longer baffle when shooting a .223 or .204 in a Short-Action.

tammons
04-30-2012, 10:05 AM
What I am asking really are long action and short action baffles interchangeable.
for some reason I am thinking they are not.

cgeorgemo
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
They are interchangeable as far as I know. I've never seen a baffle listed as long action or short action I've just seen them as long baffle and short baffle.

tammons
04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Okay, got it. Maybe its the bolt head I am thinking about.
I know they are not interchangeable.

Thanks

darkker
04-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Actually, IME some are, some aren't.
Some baffles, as stated, have an ear that keep the bolt throw shorter; some don't. I have cut the ear off and used it on a long action without issue.
The heads are different on the WSM series, otherwise it is a face diameter difference.

tammons
04-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes I know about the 223 baffle being different. Was mostly talking about the normal 473 face cartridge baffles.

82boy
04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes the front baffel is the same on a long and a short action, and they will interchange. I have placed 223 baffels on my long action to shorten them up a bit. There is no diference between the 223 baffel and the .473 baffel except for the ear or bolt stop.

On bolt heads, yes there is a diference between a long action and an short action, and it is length. The long action is longer to stop the travel of the firing pin quicker, this is why it is dangerous to use a short action bolt head on a long action, because the firing pin extends too far, and why SSS has developed a collar that goes on the firing pin to stop it, placing it back in speck.