PDA

View Full Version : At what point do I need better base/rings?

Solothurn
12-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I have used Leupold Standard rings and bases for years with no problems. Before that I'd had trouble with cheaper rings a couple times.

My scope use has only been informal target shooting and hunting but I'm gonna start shooting several precision competitions. Currently building a Savage .223 with Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x-14x that I'm going to start shooting Benchrest and reduced F-Class. Planning a Savage .260 with either a Sightron SII Big Sky or Leupold MK4 for the same use, with the goal of competing in Practical Precision competition.

The sniper boards push the heavy expensive Picatinny-rail setups as being mandatory but I just don't see it. Any experienced opinions on this subject?

Dirk
12-03-2009, 09:04 PM
The Leupold rings and bases are very good and will be fine. As you probably realize, anything that hints of "tactical" is now COOL. Go with your gut.

Blue Avenger
12-03-2009, 09:48 PM
the picatinny's are handy for those needing there eye relief in EXACTLEY THE RIGHT SPOT. other styles do not offer that ability. after that fact I do not see any reall advantage over any other quality set up.

Don - LongRangeSupply
12-04-2009, 02:24 AM
The biggest problem with two piece bases is they are rarely in alignment with each other.

If you don't use Burris Signature rings then you will almost always need to lap them to get a stress free mounting.

After some 40 years of mounting scopes, the picatinny rail is by far the most versatile system I have ever used. You don't have to spend a fortune on a picatinny setup. Get an EGW rail and some Burris Signature Zee rings and you will have a state of the art mounting system that will give you a stress free setup that also allows adjustment in any direction, plus rarely damages the scope finish.

With the same base on all your guns moving scopes around is a simple operation.

Dirk
12-04-2009, 07:51 AM
With the screw hole alignment problems that a great number of Savage receivers seem to display, I've found that Burris or Leupold steel rotary dovetail front and windage adjustable rear bases with Burris steel Signature Z rings (http://burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html) to be ideal for any type of 1 inch or 30mm scope application.

EGW1
12-04-2009, 08:12 PM
One of the Big issues we have seen on the Savage is the holes needing to be re tapped to clean them out not so much on alignment.

Thanks for the plug!
geo