PDA

View Full Version : ACTION TURNING WHILE TIGHTENING BARREL NUT

joeb33050
04-28-2012, 05:14 AM
I use a barrel vise when changing barrels My M10 had the problem that when tightening the barrel nut, the recoil lug and action turned, changing the headspace. It is possible to compensate for this by controlling the barrel nut tight start position, and I can hold the action still with a big screwdriver across the port of the barrel while tightening the barrel nut.
I thought about this, and concluded that something was "catching". I examined the action-end of the barrel nut, both sides of the recoil lug and the front end of the action, and removed any distorted bumpy-like protrusions on all four surfaces.
I REMOVED ONLY DISTORTED SMALL BUMPS-NOT ANY BASE MATERIAL!!! The barrel nut had the most bumps/distortions.
Then, with Syl-Glyde silicon grease on the end of the barrel nut, both sides of the recoil lug and the front of the action, I put the gun together and headspaced it twice. When I tightened the barrel nut, the recoil lug/action didn't turn.
joe b.

82boy
04-28-2012, 10:30 AM
On tighting down the barrel nut. Yes there is bumps on the barrel nut where the groves are cut for the nut wrench, and taking and rubbing them on a stone works wonders. Acording to Sharp Shooter the nuts are fairly staright, and only need the bumps knocked down.

Most recoil lugs have a locating notch in then that fits in the little depression cut into the action eliminating it from moving when the nut is tightened. If using a Remington recoil lug there is tooling out there that keeps the lug in place as the nut is turned down. When tightinging down the barrel nut, I just hold down on the bolt handle (Of the action bolt.) and tighten the nut, and they dont move for me.