View Full Version : HS-Precision, B&C, and Stockade

Pages : 1 [2]

nsaqam
05-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Not according to the order form which Rick Bin supplies.
Pillars are a $26 option.

rusty815
05-27-2012, 06:58 PM
I completely understand how his manner of speaking turns people off, almost did to me at first, you get used to it after a while though lol.

I have one of his 5/8" bolt handles and it is spectacular, best upgrade spent on my rifle so far, especially when combined with a lift kit. I didn't think it would make such a huge difference but it did, the bolt lift is so much smoother now.

Think about it this way, for those extra 43 dollars you can get a front rail, increased weight or length of pull, even flush mounted studs! :P

Also, according to Kevin, that was one of his big complaints for Mcmillan, they don't come bedded (unless you send them your action to have it glass bedded).

nsaqam
05-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Yep, his 5/8" bolt handle is a very nice piece.

For the same $418 you can get any length of pull you want and several different weights from McMillan.

You can also get it inlet for just about any barrel contour, recoil lug and bottom metal you desire. Same price.

You can also get about a million different color combos if you choose the McSwirly finish, eleven different molded in camo patterns, two speckletone finishes, and seven solid colors. Same price.

You also get a lifetime warranty with excellent CS.

According to McMillan about half the stocks they sell never get glass bedded and McMillan say glass bedding is unnecessary but not harmful.
I've never bedded any of mine. The inletting is downright superb.

I think they're a bargain at the price they sell for.

Can't wait to get my secondhand Stockade though.

rusty815
05-28-2012, 03:06 AM
Inletting for barrel contour, recoil lug and bottom metal is included in price with Stockade as well, and although its not listed, Stockade stocks have lifetime warranties as well, and I would say their customer service is excellent as well.

Also, you have to pay an extra $15 dollars for sling studs, which are actually included in the Stockade stock, and accessories cost more for the McMillan ($142 for thumbwheel adjustable cheekpiece vs $110 for stockade, $180 three way adjustable buttplate vs $100 for the stockade), and its $26 dollars to have aluminum pillars installed on the McMillan, the Stockade comes with full length aluminum bedding. So at the base price, the Mcmillan is a bargain, I agree, but to equal the features of the Stockade, you'd have to pay the $15 dollars for the studs and $26 for the pillars, making the difference actually $84 dollars. Fully decked out with the cheekpiece and Buttplate, the difference is even greater at $196. Not to mention you can get the unpainted Stockade for much less, can't do that with a McMillan.

Not trying to take anything away from Mcmillan, I plan on building a long action Savage with a Mcmillan stock somewhere down the road, I'm just trying to show the merit for the Stockade stocks.

nsaqam
05-28-2012, 04:33 AM
My point about the stock inletting on the McMillans is that they'll do any combination of components.
A #1 Benchmark with a 2" shank, nutless, with a .300" recoil lug. No problem.
A #3 nutless PacNor with no shank and a factory recoil lug. No problem.
A stepped Mauser barrel on a SA Savage with AICS bottom metal. No problem.
A #5 Brux with a 2 29/32" shank, .279" lug and a Rem 700 TG. No problem.

As for the aluminum BB, I see that as a liability or a crutch rather than an asset.

Different strokes.

rusty815
05-28-2012, 04:43 AM
You can do any combination of inletting with the stockade as well 28" varmint contour benchmark barrel large shank with a .250" recoil lug and a CDI bottom metal? No charge. 24" nut less magnum contour with a factory recoil lug and a hinged floor plate? He would do that as well. He only charges to inlet for non-savage actions, and that is because he is a savage smith.

How is the aluminum bba liability? I would rather have one with it than without it.

nsaqam
05-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Aluminum is heavier than stock fill material.
Aluminum expands/contracts at twice the rate of steel.
Aluminum BB's need to be made to the top of the tolerance range for the actions intended and thus require skim bedding just like regular stock fill.
Aluminum BB's are unnecessary to get rigidity if the stock design and construction are high quality.

There's a reason the top synthetic stockmakers, Robertson, Borden, Lone Wolf, Manners, MPI, McMillan, etc., don't use BB's. They don't need to, relying rather on top quality material, design, and construction.

nsaqam
05-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Longer LOP is free on a McMillan, $30 on a Stockade.
About a million different color combos and camos are free on a McMillan, $100 plus for a Stockade.
Webbing is free on a McMillan, $15 on a Stockade.
Remington (and many other) inlets are free on a McMillan, $200 on a Stockade.
Lighter weight is $90 on a McMillan, not available at any price on a Stockade.
Heavier weight is free on a McMillan, $35-$125 on a Stockade. I don't believe McMillan will make a 25# stock though.
Many many more stock styles are available at McMillan than at Stockade.

Hey, I'm excited to get my Stockade. I'll give it a thorough wringing out but it has a tough row to hoe as it's competing against my McMillans.
I'm confident that the Stockade is better than any B&C and a whole lot better than any Hogue or Choate.

rusty815
05-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Webbing is free in the stockade, as is shorter length of pull and lightening the stock. He can also do some modifications to stocks to fit your needs, such as deepening the hook on the tactical stock or increasing the comb height, most of which is free of charge. I also don't think you get the point of him being a savage Smith, again, there is a reason in letting for a savage is free, for me I actually prefer the exclusivity, there are many Remington only smiths but only two savage only smiths that I know of. Sure McMillan inlets for a wider arrange of rifles, which is why I would go with them in a heartbeat for anything other than savage rifles.

I'm not even sure Mr. Rayhill can make a 25# stock without increasing its size, that would be quite an achievement!

I'll also agree with you on that, stockade is definitely better than any b&c, choate or hogue, maybe even a bit better than h&s, though certainly at their level.

I would still like to hear why you think a full length aluminum bb is a liability.

nsaqam
05-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Rusty, the last post on page two I address the BB issue.

nsaqam
05-28-2012, 07:10 AM
How much does a Stockade Hunting Sporter weigh?

Can he make them 24 ounces complete with recoil pad and paint?

McMillan does.

I also see a 25# stock as a crazy proposition but Mr. Rayhill says he can.

nsaqam
05-28-2012, 07:16 AM
To the OP, sorry this drifted into a comparison between McMillan and Stockade stocks.

It went into the business ethics of Mr. Rayhill which at least two of us find unseemly.

Especially his practice of expediting your stock order, for a fee, ahead of others who are also paying his asking price.

rusty815
05-28-2012, 07:29 AM
The rollover thumb hole I'm getting weighs 29 ounces, and apparently his sportier stock is lighter so I think it is do-able.

I look at a fiberglass stock with a bb as a chassis/stock hybrid, the xlr evolution chassis is all aluminum yet no one sees it as a liability.

I find nothing wrong with his expedited building service, since it doesn't really change the wait time for the other builds at all, but that's just me.

ttfreestyle
05-28-2012, 02:07 PM
My 2 Stockades are F open stocks, Kevin built them to the weight i wanted (right at 10 pounds each) . Since the weight was added during the building process the balance is great, unlike when one adds weight after a stock is already finished. Kevin will make your stock any way you want which to me is a big plus. I will use him again as i am a very satisfied customer.

justinp61
05-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I have a Stockade Elk Stalker on my FVSS 22-250, it required no work to the inleting. All I did was bed the action and paint it. I got the unfinished model and had to do very little filling, IMHO a very nice stock for $189. The wait was longer than I expected though, around 28 weeks. My stock weighs 29 ounces with the pad before bedding it. I really like the large ambidextrous thumb hole, my rifle is a right hand and I shoot left handed. I can't speak for any of the others though as I've never owned their products.

John Model 10
06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
My 2 Stockades are F open stocks, Kevin built them to the weight i wanted (right at 10 pounds each) . Since the weight was added during the building process the balance is great, unlike when one adds weight after a stock is already finished. Kevin will make your stock any way you want which to me is a big plus. I will use him again as i am a very satisfied customer.

I had a similar experience. I got the PD/T stock for my 10FP in .308. I had Kevin weight it to 7 pounds. Yes, it's heavy. However, it's rock solid from a bipod and keeps me on target with every shot, even with hotter 175-180 grain loads, which is exactly what I wanted. In comparison, I have a friend with the same rifle who just added lead shot to his tupperware stock. It does shoot very well, but the balance just isn't right, to me. I like the option of having a specified weight and the stock is very comfortable in the grip, as well. I have nothing against any of the other stocks, but just stating my satisfaction with Kevin and Stockade.

John