PDA

View Full Version : Building from Afar.... Got some questions

kells81
04-27-2012, 12:02 AM
I have had the urge for a LR 243 and normally I just use a smith to twist it up on a Remy or Stiller action. Anyway I was perusing the FS sections and ran across this little jewell. Figure for the money its worth a shot at doing it myself this round. I would answer these questions myself but the rifle is in TX and I am in Kabul.

#1, Screw hole spacing, this is a 10XX scout but non accutrigger. Will this have the 4.27 or 4.4 spacing?

#2 Barrel Tenion, I am 100% sure its a small, anyone disagree with that?

I plan on ordering a McM HTG for this project, and getting either a Krieger or Brux barrel. Also using a CDI DBM

Other than a trigger and lug is there anything else that should be up for replacement? Thanks for the input

And a pic of the rifle in Question, its a 7mm-08 Scout

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_78461.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_7852.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_7848.JPG

tacticalj
04-27-2012, 12:50 AM
I would think you should ask the seller about the action spacing, especially before I laid the money down for that stock! I'd probably go to stockade and get a lug, tac bolt handle, and bolt lift kit. I would speculate that its a small shank. I would tend to play with the trigger adjustments before replacing it though.

ellobo
04-27-2012, 01:21 AM
hat looks like it is the old Detachable box magazine with the magazine release on the side. You may never find a stock to fit. Also looks like it ahd the old flat rear reciever which sould require the correct scope mounting base. Best get some answers before you spend the money.

El Lobo

kells81
04-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Rifle is already in my safe.... For the price it couldn't be passed up.....

rjtfroggy
04-27-2012, 06:33 AM
From the looks of it in all likelyhood it will be 4.27", small shank.
As for a stock here is where your problem starts, side release- no after market and probably no custom makers either.So I would opt for a blind mag and then do whatever you want with it.
As for trigger it should have the 3screw and that can be adjusted to what ever is comfortable for you,so no need to change.

Jamie
04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
I don't think the side release magazine is an issue since you are switching stocks and putting in a CDI DBM. It is definitely small shank and should be 4.27" spacing, definitely not the 4.40". Scope base is no issue either, just make sure you get a base for round/flat recievr and not the round/round.

kells81
04-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah I figured the CDI would solve the issue of the current mag setup. Been digging around and might just leave this one as is cause its kinda a rare thing and just pick up one of the newer actions off one of the vendors here. The only advantage I see going with a Savage is I can build it. I have a ton of custom rifles and didn't really build any of them. GAP did most of the work....

Gmac5
04-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for your service.
Gary

82boy
04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
That is a stagard feed action so it will have the 4.275 screw spacing. Cant say for sure but I would lay money down that it is a standard shank, and looking at the nut, I would say I am fairly sure. I would say that I would look at the Acme DBM over anything else.

tacticalj
04-27-2012, 11:44 PM
blind mag is how intend to replace the stock on my side release. I'm thinking when I do the pillar bedding, I can simply bed in a mag box, spring, and follower. I'm really thinking about seeing if I can simply leave the mag attached and maybe cut the bottom of the mag off and then set it all in there that way, but I'm not sure yet. Figure when my stock gets here, I'll look at it and see how far the entire assembly sticks up with the mag installed and go from there!

I would tend to agree with these guys on being prior to the 4.40 centerfeed, but I'm no expert so I wasn't going to say and lead you the wrong way. Good luck

kells81
04-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for your service.
Gary

Not needed, I am a contractor out in Kabul..

cwop
04-28-2012, 12:12 PM
that rifle looks pretty nice to me i dont think i would mess with it too much.

bob