PDA

View Full Version : Modifying my 11 accustock to fit a varmint barrel- suggestions?

Tonysnoo
04-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Building a 6slr and clearancing the accu- stock for the bigger barrel. So far so good. Looking pretty knife edged at the fore grip end, but i have about .050 float away from the barrel. There is some deflection in the foregrip so i am thinking of bedding the grooves adjacent to the aluminum runner in the foregrip for some more rigidity.

Its kind of an experiment until full bed stocks are more readily available for the short trap door action. I will also be adding weight in the back of the stock for balance.

Any suggestions, experiences???????

Thanks!

snowgetter1
04-27-2012, 08:54 AM
I angle a trim saw and just keep cutting away from the channel until the barrel fits. On my accustock I think I started hitting the aluminum bedding so I just cut the stock off above the aluminum almost all the way to the barrel nut. Now it just looks like the barrel is really free floating. In fact there is no doubt the barrel is floating.

Tonysnoo
04-28-2012, 11:18 AM
I didn't interfere with the aluminum bedding block or the forward aluminum extension piecei. The barrel has plenty of clearance. There are two channels adjacent to the forward aluminum extension strip that look like perfect spots to lay in epoxy for strength. I figure it might be a bit more stable when using a blood.

Jetpig
04-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Find yourself a deep well socket that is .02-.05 bigger diameter than your barrel and wrap it with some 60-100 grit paper and go to it with the elbow grease. I did it and the clearance is perfect. Keep fitting it when you think it is close so you don't go too far.

Tonysnoo
05-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Find yourself a deep well socket that is .02-.05 bigger diameter than your barrel and wrap it with some 60-100 grit paper and go to it with the elbow grease. I did it and the clearance is perfect. Keep fitting it when you think it is close so you don't go too far.

Right on! Thanks!

That will finish off the end, perfectly. I have the rest of the stock done, but the end profile is a bit ragged.

Thanks again!