PDA

View Full Version : Is it the Striker, the scope or me?

joeb33050
04-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Is it the Striker, the scope, or me?
I shoot mainly cast bullets and have been trying to get a Savage Striker and a sorta pistol made from an M10 Savage rifle ( both 308 Win) to shoot lead for a while now.
I can get these guns to shoot five group five shot 100 yard averages, reliably, under 2", with some averages under 1.5"-but not better.
Scopes have included 2-6X Simmons handgun scope, various rifle scopes and 30X Lyman STS.
The rifle scopes don't have enough eye relief, and I developed a flinch and bleeding from "scope eye".
The Striker trigger is/was a bear to get adjusted so it stayed put; and the scope caused problems.
I wondered if the guns or scope or me was the problem.
In a rifle I'd try jacketed bullets to check gun accuracy, but the 308 Win recoils plenty with slow lead bullets and I didn't want to test faster jacketed bullets.
I bought barrels in 22-250, two 14" Striker and a 22" sporter rifle barrel, for testing.
Using various small lots of left over 22 bullets, from 35 to 55 grain, with arbitrary beginning loads of Varget, IMR4895 and IMR4350; and with the 2-6X Simmons handgun scope, all using the Striker
14" barrel #1, 4 groups averaged 1.475", 1.719" and 1.269"-total 12 groups
14" barrel #2, 5 groups averaged 1.460", 1.167", 1.250", 1.435" 1.454"-total 25
groups
22" barrel, 2 groups averaged 1.038" and 1.513"-total 4 groups
And 4/25/2012, 2 groups were .750" and .775"-total 2 groups. I had to stop after 2 groups, but felt that the gun would have continued to shoot as well.
My conclusion is that neither the scope at 6X shooting a 3" black round target, the Striker nor me was the problem. This setup should shoot 30 caliber cast bullets at least under 1.5" reliably.
Next is to put the 26" heavy 308Win M10 barrel on the Striker after I figure out how to hog out the stock barrel channel..

durango
04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
I'll try to get this started on this site, but you may get more responce over on specialtypistols.com.

First off, I'm thinking that with the "various" bullets and powders giving the groups you got, really isn't all that bad. A little more load developement might be the answer, however, 6 power on a 3" black bull really doesn't seem to be the optimum sight picture for the results that you're seeking. Also, I've found that the factory plastic stocks don't help a whole bunch.

Let's see where this takes you with your problem--good luck!! Steve

joeb33050
04-27-2012, 04:51 AM
Thanks. The 6X Simmons and 3" round target are the result of several years of testing, trying various scopes/target combinations. It appears that using a 6X scope at 100 yards, with an appropriate target, 5 shot groups around 1" are attainable. I wondered what I was giving up by not using higher power scopes, and it doesn't seem like I'm giving up much. I figured out how to adjust parallax on scopes without parallax adjustments some while back, so that problem is gone. The Burris 3-12X AO scope looked like the answer, at ~$450 with target turrets, but looking through some at the range, the eye relief shortens quickly above 6X or so, making it uncomfortable for me.
For hunting or long range or use with another target, for example the CBA targets, the 6X may not be a good or best choice.
The 308Win and 200 grain cast bullets ~1500 fps gives me a lot of recoil, maybe that's part of my problem. Those 35 grain 22s make a lot of noise, but recoil is much easier for me to handle.
Well, if it was easy, little kids would do it.
Thanks;
joe b.

Rupe
07-12-2013, 11:08 AM
When I switched from Simmons pistol scope to a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 sf mildot Rifle scope my groups with my .243win dropped from 1.5 and 2.0" down to .50" to .75". Yes the eye relief is only 4" but I pick up my target then slowly move my head back to about 10" or so keeping my sight picture. Then slowly squeeze and bang! Right in the bullseye. It takes some practice, but I sure wish I had switched to a rifle scope sooner.
Rupe

snowgetter1
07-13-2013, 04:17 AM
A good muzzle brake on cut down varmint barrels, a good rifle scope, and consistent gripping will reduce your groups. The brake and higher overall weight are the best thing to do. IMO I hold by strikers with relatively light grip, but this is best accomplished with the use of a brake. I have shot them with a rifle scope and no brake, but it is to hard to focus on the shot since I was worried about recoil.

stangfish
07-13-2013, 11:59 AM
I have heard that the guys that shoot lead like a slower twist as well. No experience but if all else fails it is one more thing to consider. Good luck.

capttravis
08-04-2013, 02:43 PM
I have several Strikers, they all shoot very good. I use rifle scopes. My Strikers have rear grip stocks and use a rear trigger. I find the trigger on a Striker to be the worst trigger of any gun. By converting to rear grip stocks a Rifle Basix trigger will fit fine.