PDA

View Full Version : 223 Reload -- Barrel Pressure Spec

UKWildcats
04-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Reloading for a 223 Savage 10FP -- 22" Bull Barrel -- 1 in 9 twist

Powder: Accurate 2230

Bullet: Sierra 65grain GameKing -- Spitzer Boat Tail (SBT)

Using their Reloading Manual -- http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf -- and my question is the Savage Barrel rated fro the Latest NATO/MIL Ammunition.

In their Loading Manual for their Powders they have listings for:

Heavy/Long Barrel with 1-7" or 1-9" Twist -- max powder would be 23.4 grains

or

Application Bolt Action and Semi Auto Weapons rated for the latest NATO/Mil ammunition -- Max powder would be 25 grains

I loaded up 3 batches of 8 rounds each at different grain weights -- but trying to determine which section of the manual I should use.

Thanks

UK

darkker
04-27-2012, 11:58 AM
If I follow what you are after, then no.
Savage barrels are SAAMI chambers, and spec. 5.56 NATO is a different(albeit small) chamber and pressure spec.

Given the current trend to "up the pressure" of the 223/5.56; AND the usually long throats of Savage, I doubt there would be an issue.

A few things to remember in your quest here:
1) The military uses the 5.56 in semi/auto rifles, not bolt guns.
2) Faster twists raise pressures, they also lend to bullet(non-fmj) destruction due to RPM.
3) Every gun is a little different.
4) ALL gunpowders have lot variations, so unless you have THE EXACT SAME lot as the book...

With a very few exceptions, if you want accuracy(Gamekings) they won't be AS accurate at max velocity.
You should work-up and find what max is in YOUR GUN, DO NOT expect to find the answer in a book.

UKWildcats
04-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks -- I loaded on the conservative side and will be careful.

Just looking for a good accurate longer range 223 bullet for Prairie Dog Shooting -- Currently am trying out the Hornady 53 grain V-Max and the Sierra 65 grain GameKing to see which is more accurate -- not really looking for speed only, accuracy is first consideration followed by downrange performance (whick is influenced by speed, BC, Grain Weight)

My baseline is 55 grain Hornady V-Max's and just looking to see if the other two are better -- price is about the same.

UK