PDA

View Full Version : Who is accepting Savage bolts for fluting?

zepheris.hk
12-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Hey Fellas,

I am looking to get my Savage bolt fluted, but all the reputable smiths that do this are either not taking in work or only for Rems. Kampfeld customs is only taking Remington bolts & Straight shot gunsmithing is not taking any bolt fluting work. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

pdog06
12-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Sharpshooter Supply will do it. I dont thing they do a spiral fluting, but maybe 82boy can post a picture of his to show you what they do. It looks pretty good.

Smokepole
12-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Twisted barrel. And they do spiral fluting in two different styles, flat bottom or round bottom.

82boy
12-03-2009, 12:00 PM
SSS does a diamond style of fluting to their bolts, and there is a reason why.

First, the straight line style of fluting clicks on the next round in the mag box if you plan on using a repeater. So you have to work past the round on every flute, making nose, scratching the brass, and making the rifle feel rough to operate.

Second, the spiral flute, This has a problem with the Savage design actions and using this style of fluting, because of the loose tolerances of the bolt fitting in the action, and the rear step in the back of the receiver. What happens is the bolt sags and each line of the flute hits this step, in both rearward and front ward movement. So you get a clunk clunk clunk feeling of the bolt as each flute hits this step. Also the bolt stops as it hits this step with the flute, also causing extra were on the bolt and the action.

Now a picture of the diamond pattern SSS uses. The bolt is lighter and just as smooth as it was before fluting. SSS also offers bluing and powder coating of the inside diamonds making a different angle of a cutom look. I hope this helps you make up your mind.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/HPIM1813.jpg

zepheris.hk
12-03-2009, 12:28 PM
SSS does a diamond style of fluting to their bolts, and there is a reason why.

First, the straight line style of fluting clicks on the next round in the mag box if you plan on using a repeater. So you have to work past the round on every flute, making nose, scratching the brass, and making the rifle feel rough to operate.

Second, the spiral flute, This has a problem with the Savage design actions and using this style of fluting, because of the loose tolerances of the bolt fitting in the action, and the rear step in the back of the receiver. What happens is the bolt sags and each line of the flute hits this step, in both rearward and front ward movement. So you get a clunk clunk clunk feeling of the bolt as each flute hits this step. Also the bolt stops as it hits this step with the flute, also causing extra were on the bolt and the action.

Now a picture of the diamond pattern SSS uses. The bolt is lighter and just as smooth as it was before fluting. SSS also offers bluing and powder coating of the inside diamonds making a different angle of a cutom look. I hope this helps you make up your mind.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/HPIM1813.jpg

It definitely did. Thank you for your feedback, I will just send my bolt to SSS to have them work their magic.

P057
12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I really like the bolt handle on your rifle, who makes that one?

Corey

82boy
12-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I really like the bolt handle on your rifle, who makes that one?

Corey

SSS

Smokepole
12-03-2009, 02:09 PM
The spiral fluting on mine is smooth as silk. I do however have a .702 Kiff bolt body. That tightened things up quite a bit. I don't think the Savage has any feature that would make spiraled fluting any more of a problem than any other action. The straight fluting is a problem though, for the afore mentioned reason.

358Hammer
12-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I spoke with Karl at Kampfeld Custom this morning on another project.

I asked him about Savage bolts as he did mine recently. Still doing them and 2-3 day turn-around.
Sent mine in on Monday and got it back in the mail the following Monday.

Smooth in action with very little slop.

FYI

Neal

zepheris.hk
12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I spoke with Karl at Kampfeld Custom this morning on another project.

I asked him about Savage bolts as he did mine recently. Still doing them and 2-3 day turn-around.
Sent mine in on Monday and got it back in the mail the following Monday.

Smooth in action with very little slop.

FYI

Neal

Thank you for your input. Is it smooth when you have force applied that is not parallel to the bolts travel (up/down- side/side)? I will shoot him an email.

358Hammer
12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Smooth as glass and has almost no side play.

Neal